[Reader-list] Karakul , Rahul & Animal Rights

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:45:46 IST 2009

I condemn Rahul Gandhi , Omar Abdullah and Saif-Ud-din Soz wearing 'Karakul'
hats at election rallies in Srinagar Kashmir.

This is as good as endrosing cruelty towards animals.

the fur of newborn and fetal karakul lambs who are bred by the thousands in
Central Asia for the bloody fur trade.

Because their unique, highly prized curly fur begins to unwind and
straighten within three days of birth, many karakul lambs are slaughtered
when they are only 1 or 2 days old. The rest don’t even make it that far. In
order to get a karakul fetus’s hide—called “broadtail” in the industry and
valued for its exceptional smoothness—the mother’s throat is slit and her
stomach slashed open to remove the developing lamb. A mother typically gives
birth to three lambs before being slaughtered along with her fourth fetus,
about 15 to 30 days before it is due to be born. As many as 4 million
karakul lambs are slaughtered for their fur every year.

The fur industry tries to justify karakul lamb fur as a byproduct, but with
a single karakul lamb coat selling for up to $12,000 and “broadtail” fetus
coats fetching as much as $25,000, it’s little surprise that the mother
sheep and her baby’s skinned carcass are usually regarded simply as trash.

What can you do about karakul lamb fur?

   - Don’t buy or wear ANY fur.
   - If you see karakul lamb fur for sale, write to the store owners or
   managers, let them know where it comes from, and urge them to pull it from
   the shelves
   - Write to

   *PETA India *
   P.O. Box No 2