[Reader-list] BOYCOTT SECTARIAN AGENDAS

Pheeta Ram pheeta.ram at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 13:40:17 IST 2009

Don't worry Anupam, its me who brought in Gayatri Mantra and stuff. Murali
mistook.
Now dear Murali, if i say that Gayatri Mantri is a Hindu mantra - though
certainly not a
personal property of Hindus - how did you counter that? It might be an
extremely effective
breathing exercise, as all of Hindu sacred Mantras are claimed to be, but
would a Hindu
like to disown it as a Hindu matra? How does it figure and get performed in
public space?
Its "meaning" certainly need not exclude this performative aspect of the
mantra.

Now if our government schools make little children chant this mantra every
morning of their
formative years why don't they also let some beautiful aayeten from Kuran be
included in the
morning prayer, if we go by Anupam's cliched proposal though certainly not a
wrong one.
What problem would you have by that?Why does your rant against
"pseudo-secularism" refuse to acknowledge this aspect. Anupam's stance is
enough to counter all your counter-claims and i don't need to pitch in
because this has been
the case all along. One goes to the extremeties of intolerance like a
disgruntled lad of five another takes
a now much worn-out yet excessively lauded progressive stance of a mature
elder. We have been
hearing such arguments for a long time now but have they really provided a
solution, certainly not. A person
who throws a pig in a mosque today used to do the same during the partition
riots. Sadly, many things are much the same
despite our metros and innumerable malls.

The patent argument of "sarva dharma souhard" gives us hope for atleast a
tolerant future, though i hate this "tolerance" stuff, it smacks of Nazism
or things like that. "Though you fanatically believe that your neighbour is
bad or fit enough to be eliminated yet for the time being tolerate him/her
till the things get better in your favour": This is what i hear when they
bring in the argument of
"tolerance."

What i am proposing is to go a step ahead of the current progressive
argument that Anupam seems to be rooting for. His argument
has atleast one merit that it keeps in check the extremist-fanatic battle
cry that we have been hearing too often these days.
Dear Anupam, when you suggest that certain elements of religocity are free
of 'politics' or 'ideology' you put forward a too naive yet not an unheard
of claim. If i visit a temple/mosque everyday, don't fight with my
neighbour, and live a happy and contented life, whether that be in village
or a city like Delhi that doesn't absolve me of the complicity in a belief
system that by its very "a priori" nature exclude the other. The communal
polarisation that we have witnessed during/after Gujarat riots is a fitting
instance. People who had nothing to do with the riots and were leading a
peaceful life with their neighbours who professed other religion/s turned
hostile the moment the stench of burning bodies filled the air. All their
"souhard" went down the drain.

In a communal frenzy of the riot, when people are faced with the prospect of
extinction supposedly apolitical element of religiosity converts to a
fanatic hatred for the other. And its because the germs are there in the
first place, the need is to stoke the fire.

I don't know perhaps my argument needs to be elaborated more in
philosophical terms rather than weighed like mangoes on a weighing scale.
All i ask is : is the thought of taking lessons from our histories and
marching on to build  a future that could secure the future of our coming
generations which are responsible not to their "ist dev" but to each other
in the world society such an "indecent" and far-fetched idea. The proposed
future certainly need not be built upon the rubble of the past but
upon certain foudations that are still there but need to be delved upon. So
many centuries of living cultures and civilisation would have atleast
something to build such an ideal society. And if we are not able to find
such things as useful for a future human society we need not despair for we
know that the responsibility of sustaining and bettering our world is in our
hands and we can ignore it only at our own peril.

Religions are living traditions and can certainly not be banished ( and not
"banned") in one go. History, culture and society are not
softwares where CUT and PASTE are quick options. Whatever we need to learn
from all our religions and religious texts we need to do, our
progressive brothers have already ploughed enough field, but we certainly
need not get attached to the deadwood of the past. Its a task rather a
long...long revolution which hundreds of coming generation might find a
difficult proposition yet its worth aspiring for. At the philosophical
level, the problem is with the perennial springs of our belief systems and
the problem is patent.

So, i would reiterate, we have two options: either take the current state of
strife and religious hostility as a "normal" state of being -
for there have never been communities that we conjure up for ourselves in
future - and keep on fighting for communal harmony as a normal affair and
take the path to be the destination OR begin fighting for a "religion-less"
( religion in  the sense of usage in currency) human/e society that has
learnt enough lessons from its history and culture and which is "hell
bent upon" to save the world for future generations to come. When i
can believe in a pilot that he won't crash me somewhere downthere why am i
not ready to struggle to formulate a neo system of belief in the goodness of
my fellow human being. Why am i not ready to "believe" in such an ideal when
every moment of my existence is based on unacknowledge and invisible and
certainly unpalatable belief in the other person.

I would like to be corrected if i am wrong. If i am not ready to learn and
am not ready to take responsibility of my history and society and culture of
which i am a rightful, though unwilling, heir and am not ready to fight for
a future that could accommodate every human being without prejudices, i
certainly need not exist. Right bro's?