[Reader-list] Fwd: Temples Of Mirpur

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 00:52:56 IST 2009

Dear Malik ji

On a personal experience based note, I can agree that there are Muslims who
like to live among themselves only, and so also there are some Hindus I have
seen who are like that. I personally believe that it is and yet is not a
problem, depending on the side one looks at.

If what you said is true and it happens because Muslims don't feel secure
among Hindus, then it is shameful and I think both sides should try and
bridge over the problem. It is extremely unfortunate that such incidents
occur even in the 21st century when Muslims feel secure only among Muslim
colleagues and vice versa for Hindus. And anyways, a wrong act is a wrong
act, whether it be done by a Hindu or a Muslim or anyone else.

The divide today is particularly increasing with growing democratization of
power in Indian politics. Some of our intellectuals have a tendency to
celebrate this growing democratization of power in India, with the growth of
a multi-party democracy being heralded as power being transferred to the
masses. This is a totally bogus claim when looked in reality, particularly
in the northern states of this country but substantially true in other parts
of the nation as well.

The fact of the matter is that in most parts of the country, this so-called
'democratization' has come about with the view that political power is the
only way to redress grievances and in fact be the 'lords' over the masses.
Hence, the elites or particular groups across different castes and
communities have decided to fight to secure political power with the view to
perpetrating their own dynastic or clan rule over the masses and thereby
enrich themselves, and also show their paternalist streak or mannerisms in
order to show off as being 'concerned' towards the plight of the people.

On the other hand, education and health, as well as a humane and just
administration, which could have helped in truly solving the problems of the
people take a back-seat, simply because once that takes place, then
irrespective of whoever forms the govt., the people would be able to live
peacefully, and then these personalities and groups would not be able to
claim fame and great name for themselves, so also the opportunity to earn
billions through dubious ways. All way to proper democratization, like
people's struggles to get employment, to get information about functioning
of the govt. as well as even in the Right to Food case, as well as solving
other problems, is simply a fodder for newspapers to be only thrown into
garbage if such issues gain some space in them.

Therefore, this is not democratization but simply fragmentation of political
power and its availability from a small group of people to a slightly larger
group of people who can now lay claim over it. The rest is all bogus. Dalits
suffer under Mayawati. Yadavs don't get genuine development or good HDI
(human development index) figures under Mulayam's rule. Jats and Gurjars on
gaining power through acquisition of land and political power indulge in
goondaism of the worst kind in some parts of UP and sometimes in Rajasthan
as well. Some of the backward castes in AP and Tamil Nadu also indulge in
caste discrimination of vicious kinds, although such instances are very less
when compared to North India and are harshly condemned as a result of which
they are not that widely prevalent or easy to practice.

The result is that within the society, the Muslims, the Dalits, the Gurjars,
the different castes and minority religions, (the people belonging to them
that is), think that the only way they can get their problems solved is
simply acquiring political power, and the rest will automatically fall in
line. Also, this kind of fragmentation pits them in competition with other
groups, which means that they feel secure only within their own group. And
the end result is the kind of behavior you have experienced.

The behavior of competition and feeling of insecurity within a diverse group
is due to political compulsions entering personal lives. Of course,
political compulsions of other kinds also come to the party in ensuring
this. For example, the insecurity among the Muslims thanks to the BJP rule
or Hindutva based organizations ensures that Muslims also don't trust Hindus
that much, and soon we have 'mini-Pakistans' (the name given to
Muslim-dominated demographic regions in cities of India). And if it's a
worse kind of case, like in say Gujarat, we have borders as well. (Like in
Vejalpur area of Ahmedabad, there is a fencing referred to as the 'border').
And in certain cases, the so-called 'secular' parties feed on this
segregation to try to get Muslims behind them and become politically
powerful.

This is not what was supposed to be achieved. And hence the only solution to
this is to actually fight for true democratization, and the inter-mingling
of people across various castes, religions and diverse backgrounds and
sexes. Moreover, there needs to be an appreciation for this as well, and
this can only be developed through interaction and education, for value
systems are one thing our education only can inculcate. Unfortunately, even
the education curriculum and syllabus in India are so prejudiced and
manipulated as per political whims, that even the education being offered
seems to be just to serve political bosses rather than to ensure that those
learning from it can actually help in contributing to a better world.

The result is appearance of a disaster, the kinds of which will only be
visible when disgruntled elements across the society only indulge in
violence on a highly consistent basis, the likes of which we may never have
seen before ever in history. And it's time we actually join hands to stop
this from happening and start on a positive note.

I think on a personal scale Malik jee, it's necessary for you to at least
ask that Muslim colleague of yours why he behaves like that, and whether he
feels insecure. I think that trust can be obtained, otherwise we can all
keep singing only in our dreams:

'ye dooriyan, in raahon ki dooriyan, nigahon ki dooriyan, humraahon ki
dooriyan, fanaa ho sabhi dooriyan'

Regards

Rakesh