[Reader-list] Graduate stud opp to work with historians on urban colonial India

lalitha kamath elkamath at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 09:14:23 IST 2009

From: Richard Harris <harrisr at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>

Is there a good, potential graduate student out there who is interested in urban-colonial India?

Together with Robert Lewis, at the University of Toronto, I am doing
research on the social geography of Bombay and Calcutta around the turn
of the twentieth century. Among other things, Robert and I are making
extensive use of the decennial censuses, especially for 1901.

We are looking to take on a graduate student, probably M.A. but
possibly Ph.D., to work with us on this. The ideal student would have
some background in urban geography, urban history, or urban studies;
some experience with Indian libraries and archives; and/or experience
in the use of large databases. Of course we don't necessarily expect to
find someone who fits all those criteria! We would be able to supervise
a student for a degree in Geography (U. of Toronto or McMaster) or
History (McMaster). The preferred start date would be September 2010.

If you know of a suitable student, please ask them to get in touch with Robert or me, at one of the following email addresses.

harrisr at mcmaster.ca
lewis at geog.utoronto.ca

Or pass this message on to anyone you think may be interested. Thank you.

Richard Harris

Richard Harris, Professor,
School of Geography and Earth Sciences,
McMaster University