[Reader-list] Feudalism in Pakistan

A.K. Malik akmalik45 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 09:33:54 IST 2009

Hi Murali,
           I have had lot of discussion with Rakesh on minority appeasement.We both have failed to convince each other while still agreeing on views on several of the issues.I entirely agree with views expressed in your last para.While most instances narrated by Rakesh are state centred politics, strangely the major minority appeasement is from Central Govt. I have been thinking of reasons why it is so happening and have come to a plausible viewpoint.
There are two major political parties-BJP and Congress.There are many  people  mainly from majority community committed to BJP ideology which the Congress is unable to woo and break.While there are others who strongly oppose this ideology and naturally drift to Congress.Congress is thus left with a choice either to woo a small floating left out  majority community number or put its efforts on major chunk of minority community. The results are obvious with open wooing of minorities mainly Muslims. In so far as political parties are concerned this could still be acceptable.But when it comes to Governance, why should citizens be discriminated based on religion. The Governments should treat all equally except as provided in Constitution.This is not happening so as we see in our daily lives.
In my opinion the BJP has certainly behaved better in this regard than the Congress as far as Central Governance is concerned.
I know there would be people who would not brand this as secular but let all those put their hands on their hearts and tell  who seems to be safer--a Muslim living in Hindu majority place or a Hindu living in a Muslim majority place.There are no saviours for Hindus while there are hundreds of saviours for Muslims.  The results of discriminations is now resulting into Hindu fanaticsm which is equally dangerous as has been the other way round.When you look at numbers where are you going to equalize the percentages-Govt, Industry,Markets,Shops,Residences,Roads, Places of worship and so on and so forth.If the Govt wishes let them make ALL citizens more educated and more capable and then market forces will determine their course.
Regards,

(A.K.MALIK)