[Reader-list] Feudalism in Pakistan

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:11:24 IST 2009

Dea Rakesh,

I did not get this: "I don't see any BJP coming back to power, unless there
is an all-India pogrom/riot/genocide or the Congress rules absolutely badly,
or coalition politics ruins the Congress". If BJP comes into power only
because of a riot or genocide, then people who stand up for the peace (which
i am sure a majority of people believe in) are not doing a good job. There
are people from BJP as well trying to bridge the communities from fighting.
Some of them are not using the communal agenda at all but it has to do with
frustration with local congress or CPI or other party. basically, for some
BJP means a change of guard apart from other things such a communal stance
or jingoistic call. Even in the riot-torn localities, you'd see several
rioters from the both the communities sharing a bottle of booze in the night
analysing what went wrong. The appeasement quotient is nothing but a drawing
room conversation of those who are barely in touch with ground realities. It
is a tool to forecast election results, allegiances, future coalitions and
combines.

-anupam