[Reader-list] For students: Need Development and Communications Fellow for Conflict Transformation Organization

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 10:56:13 IST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: altaf makhiawala

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sachi Maniar

*INTRODUCTION:*

Abraham’s Vision (AV) is a conflict transformation organization that
explores group and individual identities through experiential and political
education. Examining social relations within and between the Jewish, Muslim,
Israeli, and Palestinian communities, we empower participants to practice
just alternatives to the status quo. For more information see
www.abrahamsvision.org.

*SEEKING:*

AV seeks a Development and Communications Fellow for the fall and/or spring
semesters.

*Job Responsibilities May include: *

   - Support promotion efforts and track rsvps for large promotional event
   (i.e., in January 2010 AV is putting on a benefit concert to support
   Pakistani IDPs and AV, with Junoon <http://www.junoon.com/>, the most
   famous rock band in South Asia).
   - Updating and maintaining donor database.
   - Writing acknowledgments and helping with donor stewardship.
   - Conducting prospect research.
   - Assisting in the production of fundraising materials.
   - Researching online giving modules for AV website.
   - Research social media options, make recommendations and set up
   appropriate social media.
   - Assist with organization and standardization of website content.
   - Updating and maintaining contact lists in constant contact.

*QUALIFICATIONS: *

   - Graduate student or advanced undergraduate student.
   - Strong attention to detail and research skills.
   - Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently.
   - Genuine interest in learning the nuts and bolts of development.
   - Passion for conflict transformation.

*COMPENSATION: *

Through this unpaid, the fellow will learn a great deal about the
inner-workings of an ngo. In addition, due to the unique nature of our
organization's staff structure, fellow will gain insight into the fields of
conflict transformation and social justice education. In the past, previous
Fellows have been offered paying positions within AV after the fellowship
had come to a close.

*APPLICATION:*

Please email a resume and cover letter to Aaron Hahn Tapper (
ajhahntapper at usfca.edu). Applications will be evaluated on a first come,
first serve basis.

*MORE ABOUT AV:*

We run two main programs, the Unity Program, for Jewish and Muslim high
school students, and the Vision Program, for Jewish and Palestinian
university students. In addition we run short-term workshops and
presentations. In January 2009, in partnership with Columbia University and
the University of San Francisco, we launched new facilitation training
courses for individuals working with groups in conflict, spreading our
groundbreaking conflict transformation methodology beyond the borders of
these specific communities.

What makes Abraham’s Vision unique in the world of conflict transformation
are the following four principles: (1) Equal Partnerships/Teamwork: We are
committed to equal partnerships across ethnic, religious, and gender lines.
This commitment is reflected in our organizational structure as well as our
long-term programs, workshops, and presentations. (2) Experiential Learning:
We are committed to creative forms of education that both recognize the
importance of content-based teaching and value individual and group
participant experiences. (3) Encounters: We approach inter-group encounters
as a reflection of the political realities in which we live, utilizing them
as a central element of our educational approach. (4) Political Education:
We focus on individual and collective relationships within current political
realities, placing the relationship between individuals and groups at the
center of the educational experience rather than analyzing political
developments as something separate from students. *There is no other group
in the US working with these populations that is structured in this way.*

* *

In line with these principles we seek consensus in decision-making among the
organizations’ management team, which consists of Muslims and Jews, Israelis
and Palestinians, women and men. It is important to note our commitment to
working together as a staff that represents a range of different group
identities. This is extraordinarily unique and innovative in our field. For
example, AV is co-directed by Dr. Aaron J. Hahn Tapper, a Jewish American
man who grew up attending Jewish Day Schools and Jewish seminaries (*
yeshivot*) and Huda Abu Arqoub, a Muslim Palestinian woman from the West
Bank. This illustrates that we, like the communities with which we work,
have a self-understanding of being individuals that are also part of groups
in conflict. We do not see ourselves as third parties, or neutral observers,
to these conflicts. Further, while the relationship between Muslims and Jews
is quite different than that of Jews and Palestinians, and the relationship
between Jews and Palestinians in the United States is distinct from Jewish
Israelis and Palestinians abroad, we understand all of these inter-communal
relationships to be primarily defined by conflict. For us, ‘conflict’ is
broader than armed confrontation only. We understand this term to include
relations of power, levels of interaction, processes of dehumanization, and
more, reflecting certain patterns, which broadly include competing
narratives, cultures of denial, questions of minority/majority status, roles
of perpetrators/victims, and assumed homogeneity. Jews, Muslims, Israelis,
and Palestinians, in their respective relations with one another, exhibit
these patterns and merit the analytical category of being labeled groups in
conflict. Though not all of our programs are co-led across gender lines (due
to our limited capacity of not being able to hire two directors for every
one of our programs) our organization is committed to always being run
across gender lines and 100% of our programs are co-developed and co-run
across ethnic, religious, and national lines. We have regular staff meetings
where we examine and discuss the staff dynamics internal to AV—whether
related to gender, ethnic, religious, and/or national identities, among
other signifiers—thereby striving to embody the ethos we teach our
participants..

Hahn Tapper is the Director of the Jewish Studies and Social Justice Program
at USF. Abu Arqoub serves as Adjunct Faculty at USF.

--
Aaron J. Hahn Tapper, PhD
Assistant Professor, Swig Chair of Judaic Studies
ajhahntapper at usfca.edu

Co-Executive Director, Founder
Abraham's Vision
295 89th Street, Ste. 308
Daly City, CA 94015
(w) 415.839.6889
(c) 646.266.6908
aaron at abrahamsvision.org
www.abrahamsvision.org

MAILING ADDRESS:
3571 Highland Avenue
Redwood City, CA 94062

--
Mary Ellen Solon
Emergency and Material Assistance Program Associate