[Reader-list] universal civil code

A.K. Malik akmalik45 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 10:00:12 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh Ji,
               With a couple of recent incidents,immediate thing which comes to my mind is hoodwinking of law by Hindu men and oppression of women in both Hindu and Muslim religions.Any Hindu who doesn't want to go in for the divorce proceedings with his current wife converts to Islam to marry another women.Without really following the tenets of Islam,his only aim is to get another woman which after conversion he gets by nikah.While in Islam a gender inequality is there wherein a man can marry and have four wives and then can divorce any or all of them without giving the women any recourse by saying Talaq thrice.While the tenets in Islam say that he can do so only if he treats them all equally which in realty never happens.I am not a Scholar in Islamic Studies and this is what I have understood from normal readings and news.Then there are inequalities in succession laws in different faiths.
Regards,

(A.K.MALIK)