[Reader-list] Fw: Imran Hashmi takes a U turn

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 00:05:56 IST 2009

Dear Murali ji

Good idea to die with one's thoughts. But shouldn't those thoughts be based
on rational connects, (which will have bias in all probability) which can
help the people to actually reach their potential and become better
individuals, thereby contributing to their own growth and to that of
society, growth in terms of improvement (physical, mental, social,
psychological and health-wise)?

The problem is that all of this talk is simply about proving oneself to be
the victim and continuing with the talk of sense of victimization (and in
this process, I see a genuine victim named Pawan Durani ji having stopped
writing articles, though I had differences with him, but was looking to read
articles from him too), has got me really in despair.

What really shocks me is your hatred towards Muslims, or at least your
suspicion of them? What have they done to you on a personal note, which
makes you think in this way? What have they done to your family (if they
have as well) which made you go in this line? Where do you see laws being
implemented which favor the Muslims (I agree with say the Muslim personal
law and the upturning of Shah Bano judgement as appeasement, but frankly
speaking, except for grand statements being made, the conditions of Muslims
is as bad as that of SC's and only better than that of ST's.)?

Then again, why do you agree on the appeasement of SC's or ST's, in terms of
reservation being provided to them (or other forms of affirmative action),
but not for Muslims, when their economic and educational status is not very
different from that of the SC's? Why do you feel that Muslims are not loyal
to India, inspite of having fought shoulders to shoulders right from the
1857 revolt uptil now? Why don't you realize that Partition was a traumatic
event which displaced massive nos. of people, who lost their land, their
sense of identity fixed to certain places, and whose displacement coupled
with violence around them made them so senseless as to perpetrate inhuman
violence on those around them who unfortunately belonged to the opposite
religion?

Why do you think that Muslims of India are just like some of the foolish
frenzy-based Islamic rulers and kings like Ghazni and Aurangzeb? Why don't
you realize that Muslims have not only survived in cities but also in
villages, many of them not even having read the Quran because of illiteracy,
and having heard it only by word of mouth publicity? Why don't you realize
that in villages, it's these Muslims and Hindus who have lived side by side,
not necessarily always happily, but in a mode of adjustment and flexibility
with each other?

Even in cities that has been the case. Then why do you still feel
suspicious? Is it because the Muslims generally don't vote for the BJP, and
you are a supporter of that party? Is it because you believe in the RSS
ideology and have found some Muslims like that? The urban Muslims are now
being cast in a stereotypical image (and some of them also wish to subscribe
to it), but does that mean that all of them are alike?

Why do I not see the same passion for say the RTI, the NREGA or the RTF? Why
do I not see the same passion for issues which concern the tribals like
displacement due to large scale dams like the Sardar Sarovar, which are an
insult to the very word 'development', based on which they are justified?
Why do I not see the same passion when people have to die in caste based
violence or religion based violence and women get raped? Why do I not see
the same passion when the Indian state decides to spend money on making a
nuclear submarine, disregarding the fact that almost half of the children
born in this country are malnourished? (India may be the 6th nation to have
built the nuclear submarine, but it has been first since many years in the
field of malnourishment of children). Why do I not see the same passion for
elimination of corruption? Why do I not see the same passion for child
rights, including the right to education and human rights for them? Or even
for issues of subjugation of women and thereby rendering them weak
economically, socially and politically? Aren't those issues?

Is Hindu-Muslim still an issue for us? When will this issue end? Should the
Muslims migrate from India forever, is that going to finally satisfy you? Or
should they all study in RSS schools to learn 'nationalism' and 'patriotism'
and sing 'Vande Mataram' as well, even if forcibly so? Should the Muslims
also wear 'patriotism' on their sleeves? Should the Muslims learn Sanskrit
forcibly and read the Gita rather than the Koran?

My question to Rajen ji was the same, and to you it's the same as well: what
do you expect of the Indian Muslims and on what basis do you justify it? And
when will you be finally satisfied of their behavior and intent?

On the 62nd year of independence, it seems many of us are still not free
from the clutches of suspicion and mistrust sown in our minds. What's the
use of celebrating this Independence Day then, when we don't even know the
meaning of freedom and independence at all?

Therefore, a very happy (Partial) Independence Day, probably with the hope
that we can get to have a full Independence Day in the future sometime.

Regards

Rakesh