[Reader-list] universal civil code

A.K. Malik akmalik45 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 12:03:53 IST 2009

Hi Rakesh Ji and Taraprakash ji,
                                Literacy has nothing to do with Khat Panchayats. It is only the stub-born attitude and hollow honour attached by men in the community.The other point is while women are getting better respects from men and have more say in family matters in other communities, it is not so in Haryana where women are still considered second fiddle and have virtual no say especially in matters pertaining to love, marriage, land & property.
Honour killings were being done by individuals earlier, now it is being done by or under pressure from Panchayats. No one gets punished as no one dares become a witness because he/she is also threatened with same fate.Police know but are unable to proceed in such cases.
I remember a case 30 years back, where a Jat Girl fell in love with a boy from other caste was thrown in a well by her own Tau(father's elder brother) even when she went on pleading to his Tau that she will never see the boy again.But the Tau told her that she had spoiled the family honour which can be brought back only when she is forced to die.Everyone in the village knew what happened but nothing happened.(For criticizers,I was not a witness to it, it was narrated by one of the villagers).
Even with well educated people caste has become much more than it used to be.See HT matrimonials. The only positive factor in urban educated class is they only boycott the young couple but never kill them.
Regards,

(A.K.MALIK)