[Reader-list] Join National Protest Day against Encounter Killings on 14th August

ambarien qadar ambarien at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 16 10:51:28 IST 2009

Hi Jodha,
Apologies for the delayed response. Nevertheless, this is how I think:
Dear Ambarien Qadar:

While I endorse your campaign covering different rights violations across India, I am a bit puzzled by one of the reasons for your protest:

 "the arbitrary arrests of Muslim youth."
While we as a group do extend our solidarity with other groups/individuals working on different rights violations, the campaign specifically at the moment is not a blanket protest for all rights violations across India. We are protesting against cases of encounter killings, very specifically the case of The Batla House encounter where the NHRC has given a clean chit to the police. If you read my post carefully, you will find that it is not only about 'the arbitrary arrests of muslim youth' (which in my view is definitely and undeniably happening) but also about instances in Manipur. Please look up my/our past posts to see the instances where we have addressed issues beyond the 'arbitrary arrests of Muslim youth'.

I think this is a narrow, perhaps even communal and certainly erroneous view of state of affairs in India. The victims of arbitrary arrests and illegal confinement, while in your limited personal experience may necessarily be Muslims, across India they are from all religious groups and even non-religious/ atheists if you were to visit some of the so-called Naxal-affected districts. The mail was a group opinion. It was not a personal one; and hence not stemming from my own 'limited personal opinion'. However, I am not apologetic, not in the least, to say that my motivations for the political have always emerged from the personal.

Thirdly, if you want to link "independence from encounter killings" with Independence Day, then why have this protest on August 14th and not August 15th, which is our independence day? This is not a minor quibble. August 14th is Independence Day of a certain other south Asian country that, as is common knowledge, has been arming, training and exporting terrorists to us for over 25 years now as a matter of state policy. It is no secret either that many in our society see human rights groups as anti-national, pro-terrorists, etc. This is more so with the Muslim community. As it stands your timing is going to reinforce this prejudice rather than draw attention to an issue that should concern every citizen.Some decision are pure logistics, like choosing 14th Aug instead of 15th.
ThanksAmbarien Al Qadar

            Messages in this topic           (2)

            Reply           (via web post)

          Start a new topic