[Reader-list] a letter to Sarai admin

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 13:48:59 IST 2009

Dear all

My response:

1) @ Monica Ji: I do not agree that there should be a technological fix to
the problem, unless there's a problem of management of traffic which ensures
posts being put up are not able to appear in mails as promptly as they
should (or currently are). This is a very good attack on 'freedom of speech'
itself. Infact, even the protocols and the code of conduct must ideally be
based on a public discussion itself, rather than enforcing of certain
individuals.

On the issue of common grounds, I accept that there should be a common
ground to understand. But this understanding can't and shouldn't be forced
on individuals again. This understanding can improve in itself again through
public discussions and a conduct on self, otherwise Sarai will aptly follow
the saying 'Respect is always demanded, not commanded'. Forcible measures
like stopping posts are not going to necessarily improve the respect
individuals have for each other, as you yourself said.

Therefore, I agree that if necessary let's have a debate on codes of conduct
as well as some additional rules to be formulated if required. And yes, if
something still goes wrong, then censure should be the last method to resort
to. And it should be used with utmost care.

And I have an additional reason as well to put up posts as well (the RTF
ones and others I quote from articles). I believe that as human beings, we
should be concerned about the plight of those who suffer from poverty, poor
health, malnutrition, hunger, deprivation, the dynamics of inequality, wars,
destitution, old age, lack of employment etc. and so on. All such problems
have two dimensions: the physical aspect of how a person can grow weak in
health, become disabled, not able to earn well, not get educated etc., and
the mental aspect of how a person can lose his/her self-esteem, lose the
confidence in oneself, be unsure, unhappy and unsafe as well etc.

I agree it's not a duty of all to be concerned about these issues. But I
would find it terrible and appalling if people were to say that RTF articles
(or any such articles) should not be posted because we find it too much to
receive 10 mails a day (or 40 mails a day). That shows our level of concern
for individuals and other human beings. I again say people have the right
not to be concerned about these issues at all. They may be happy, have a
great life, enjoying great comforts, indulging in Page-3 parties and
thinking about issues very narrowly like equating saving the environment to
saving the tiger. And I agree that too is a part of 'real' India.

But there are other facets to it, those which could be ended if all of us
show some concern and at least pressurize the state to do something about
it. (by talking about it at least. And yes, if a Jessica Lal case can become
an important topic thanks to media and public discussion, why not corruption
in NREGA, education, employment and so on. Are those irrelevant concerns,
just because we dont' face them or because we get bored on hearing them?)

2) @Yousuf ji: Posting on Sarai reader list, I am afraid, can't be equated
with illegal construction. I agree that you do face a problem in a certain
sense, and I spoke of those arguments from my personal as well as a third
person point of view. I also agree you didn't take my name alone. (Taali ek
haath se nahi bajti aakhir)

But then again, that doesn't mean because things are not ideal, let me go
about infringing on other's freedoms so that I can get the ideal
achievement. By that logic, the violence of the upper castes on dalits, the
argument of the Tatas for Singur, the arguments of the dictators against
democracy, and the arguments of some of the members of this very forum for
not trusting Muslims at all (for action of some) is indeed a quite good
thing. Why not do those as well? Where will we draw the line as a forum and
as a society on restrictions on freedoms, is what I wish to ask?

When you post, I have a wish to read it or not, and I do accordingly.
Similar is the option for you and others as well. Just because you don't
find your interest or because you don't like the topics doesn't mean you say
that let's stop posting or restrict posting. What's the guarantee anyway
that restricting posting will solve the problem?

3) @ Srikanth ji: I agree with your point, about not limiting posts and
about the 2nd. About the 1st, yes, it is also true. But then again, quality
content is always few and far for many things, and most of us I believe are
non-intellectuals. Therefore, it would be interesting to see what people
have as their arguments to talk about. But yes I agree with you.

And finally, @ Anupam ji: I really liked the article you sent.

It's great that there is a public discussion on the issue. But that
discussion is supposed to have a rational element to it. Now I see why Sen
stressed on the rational

Regards

Rakesh