[Reader-list] Dharavi on MediumFormat

Akshay akshaym at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:14:42 IST 2009

~

http://blindboys.org/blog/?p=136

Ramshackle corrugated tin, plywood, plastic, pukkah bricks, sheets of
asbestos, sweat, toil, people and garbage make Dharavi, just like piles of
earth, sand, clay and other materials make ant hills. Dharavi and many other
slums like it are nothing but human ant colonies built by legions of our
urban poor. They are places which are at same time sombre, moving, joyful
and interesting .Push and pull factors, bring people from our villages here
everyday in search for something better. They settle here much to the
neglect of our apathetic eyes. But under the squalor is great spirit and
ingenuity. I went looking for this spirit in this place most people refer to
as ‘Asia’s largest slum’ but I would prefer to call the ‘Heart of Mumbai’.

~

http://Blindboys.org

We'll be doing projections soon ! So staytuned and get in touch with us if
interesting in showing your work on blindboys at gmail.com

--
Akshay Mahajan
Photojournalist.