[Reader-list] Letter to my Detractors in The Netherlands

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Aug 19 23:03:58 IST 2009

Dear Sanjay.

Thanks for sending in this nuanced statement by Tariq Ramadan. Press
TV, like much else of the Iranian media is not a tool, either of the
Iranian regime, nor a mouthpiece of the opposition, just as the BBC
is neither the voice of Tony Blair, nor of David Cameron. At the best
of times, It does a precarious balancing act, in its worst moments,
it chooses silence. In this, it is not by any means exceptional. The
same could be said of the CNN. And the less said about Dutch
Television and newspapers, the better.

The position taken by the municipality of Rotterdam and the Erasmus
University on the basis of Tariq Ramadan's relationship with Press TV
is indeed regrettable. Tariq Ramadan is a very respected and able
scholar of Islam, whose work I enjoy reading, though I do not agree
with everything he writes.

The positions taken by the Municipality of Rotterdam and the Erasmus
University are indeed of that blinkered variety (not uncommon at all
in Europe) which insists on seeing things without nuance or subtlety
whenever it comes to the Islamicate world.

Michel Foucault, whose writing I greatly admire, was extremely naiive
(in my view) in his wholehearted endorsement of the Islamic
Republic's regime after the revolution of 1979, because he did not,
in my view, care to understand the complexities of Iranian politics.
For him, they were just 'other', whose enthusiasms could be
infectious, but whose cultures remained opaque, and in fact,
irrelevant. Similarly, and from the opposite point of view, the
decision to strip Tariq Ramadan of his university position, is again
a refusal to engage with the nuance that his point of view
represents, especially vis-a-vis Iran.

I have always felt that the politics of boycotting institutions and
agencies, (or individuals associated with those agencies) that happen
to be based in a particular country, but are not necessarily a part
of the state of a particular country, is regrettable, and generally
counter-productive.

If this were to be consistently followed, very few people might want
to engage with institutions based in say, the United States, the
United Kingdom, Russia, France, the Netherlands, China, India or
Israel. I find the policies of the state of the Netherlands with
regard to immigration as reprehensible as the policies of the Iranian
state with regard to the freedom of speech and expression. This does
not mean I think that a decision to boycott Dutch universities, or
newspapers, or publishing houses and media agencies is particularly
intelligent. Many in the Muslim world reacted with similar stupidity
when they called for a boycott of 'Danish' products in the wake of
the 'danish cartoons' controversy. The decision by Dutch Institutions
to make a special case of a person who hosts a TV programme on an
independent Iranian channel reeks to me of the utmost hypocrisy, and
in fact seems to me to be a particularly stupid mirror of extremist
Islamist idiocy with regard to the Danish cartoon question.

Some cases become hobby horses, Iran and Israel are both hobby
horses, India may well become one some day. I find the
sanctimoniousness of calls for 'boycott' particularly regrettable.
Calls for boycotting engagement with (fragile) Iranian and Israeli
public and non-state institutions do the greatest damage to people in
both countries (and I name these countries only as examples, there
could be many other such countries) who are committed to change and
transformation within them.

At times like this, I think we need greater, not lesser engagement
with people in countries with repressive and unpleasant regimes,
wherever they may be. The Netherlands (which continues to have
diplomatic relationships with the Iranian regime, and regularly does
business with it) only robs itself and its own people of an
opportunity to continue to engage with the intellect of Tariq Ramadan
by depriving him of his academic position.

best,

Shuddha