[Reader-list] Sri Lankan Army war crime Video footage - News Channels responsibility

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 12:23:16 IST 2009

Dear Jeebesh

There is nothing really surprising about these videos. The fact is that most
of the armies across history have done it, and it's something armies share
in common.

History says that there were armies which went on strike because they were
not allowed to 'enjoy their time with the women of the cities which they had
attacked'! There were armies which looted religious places and destroyed
them, looted and raped women and burnt them as well, killed elders and
children in the most despicable manner, and thus destroyed innocent lives in
the world. And in this, all religions can claim their champions, though
their scale of doing so may have been different (from Islam to Christianity
to Hinduism. The only exceptions could be Buddhism and Jainism, and maybe
Confucianism, rest I don't know).

The current armies too are nothing short of that. Look at what US army was
doing in Iraq, and think what they may have done in Guantanamo bay, Cuba.
Look at what our army (or para-military forces) indulge in Kashmir,
North-East, Chhattisgarh (Salwa Judum) and other possible areas. (Now the
same claims are heard about Lalgarh as well). Look at the Taliban and the
way they treat individuals. (The Taliban too is an armed militia and hence
like an army). And of course, Srilankan army must not be forgotten as well.

The army in itself is an institution which is only good for strategic
blunders and massive disasters. When people are dying of hunger and their
freedoms are being slaughtered or attacked, should we actually require
armies? Do they help in enhancing freedoms?

As for the videos, till how long will we hide away truths from our children
and our future generations? I agree that a warning could have been given,
but let them know what the real world is. That is necessary. And let's not
hide the images from the children always just because explaining that to
them will be difficult. At some point of time they would have to see it.
What could be however a reason is to ensure that their mindsets are not
badly affected and they don't become too pessimistic or sad due to regular
viewings, and in that sense it's important the warning is given.

Regards

Rakesh