[Reader-list] Your views on the book "Satya Darshini" by christian missionaries

Vikhar Ahmed vikharjnu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 00:41:49 IST 2009

Dear Murali,

Rather than getting into the debate about the contents of the book 'Satya
Darshini', I wanted to raise a few other questions about the veracity of
your information based on my visits to Dakshina Kannada on journalistic
assignments as well as my conversations with local residents and journalists
in the region, members of the New Life Fellowship (the prime accused as the
distributors of this tract) and members of the Bajrang Dal in Mangalore.

I'm surprised that you are raising the issue of this tract after almost a
year since it was in the news. The tract was in the news after the attacks
on the churches in Mangalore in early September last year with members of
the Bajrang Dal distributing this tract to journalists justifying the
attacks on the churches by accusing the Christian community (particularly
the Evangelical group, the New Life Fellowship) of distributing this tract
among non-Christians in the region. The funny thing I found after I spent
some time in the region was that the only people who had a few pages of
'Satya Darshini' with them were the members of the Bajrang Dal. And what I
found even more funny was that the only pages that they had were the ones
that you have used with great scholarly aplomb in your charged rhetoric. I
have a copy of the pages that you have cited here with me. These are the
only ones that are repeatedly photocopied and are in circulation among
members of the Bajrang Dal. If you have a copy of the tract, assuming you
read Kannada, you will see that you will hardly be able to read the text
because it has been photocopied and then photocopied again. Has any one in
the Bajrang Dal read anything else of that book? Does any one in the BD have
any other part of the book? If you do, I would sincerely request you to give
me a copy as I've been keen to write an article about the book.

What I'm trying to say is that, as far as evidence on the field goes, *there
is nothing to validate your charge that Christians and Christian
missionaries have openly printed, published and distributed* this tract. The
New Life Fellowship had come out with a strong denial last year itself. The
Justice Somashekhar Commission is conducting an inquiry in Bangalore on the
attacks on churches that took place in Mangalore last year and do you think
any Christian group, (assuming for a moment that they are rabid
fundamentalists who want to convert everyone to Christianity in the coastal
part of Karnataka) would be stupid and silly enough to distribute such
literature. If you care to go to the region you will see how Hindutva groups
are flourishing in the region and the state is very biased in its behaviour.

Please do verify your facts and get back to me. I will be keen to follow up
any of your statements if there is any truth in them. And as far as
discussing the contents of the book go I will leave that to my dear friend
Anupam. He is a good journalist and sometimes I am surprised at his tenacity
to slug it out on this list and marvel at his stamina but he's always been a
street fighter (in the metaphorical sense).

My sincere regards,

Vikhar.