[Reader-list] Your views on the book "Satya Darshini" by christian missionaries

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:37:35 IST 2009

Dear Murali

I may counter this point, to a certain extent. The idea of monotheism in God
was basically an articulation of the elitist position, which the priests and
those considered 'respectful' as per religious tradition, being elders. What
the people followed in their lives may not be necessarily the same as that
which was observed by the elites.

Secondly, it was under the British rule that Sanskrit and religious texts
were studied back for research into Indian philosophy (this was done even
under Mughal rule but the Mughals didn't distinguish themselves necessarily
from the natives of the land), it was then that certain reformers like Ram
Mohan Roy, Vidyasagar, Vivekananda and others realized the need to reform
their religion, for being western-educated and seeing what they thought were
'ills' in the society, they couldn't bear to see the real instances of sati
and other kinds of discrimination, as well as polytheism.

In order to give a 'modernist' look in the religion, they decided to adapt
the theme of monotheism. While Roy advocated that people should only worship
one God, Vivekananda said what you have put as the main point in your mail.
However, as I have said, Vivekananda and Roy are not the only Hindus. Each
person has got the right to interpret and decide for himself/herself what it
means to be a Hindu, and the same freedom does and should exist for what it
means to be a Christian or a Muslim. Unnecessary constraints being invented
or developed by society is not the right path to define these identities.

I think we have also diverted significantly in measure from the subject
under which I am writing this mail. The topic basically deals with regarding
whether such texts should be published at all, and why aren't they being
criticized.

The texts shouldn't be banned, so also Varun Gandhi's and Modi's speeches
(vitriolic as they have been in different contexts). Each person has got the
right to express his/her view, and even as a citizen of the Indian state,
it's no obligation on a citizen who is a non-Muslim, to trust a Muslim. That
is an individual freedom and therefore, views expressed in accordance with
that are fine.

The larger problem of conversions has two other aspects to look at. First is
how come these conversions are taking place, and secondly, as to why these
conversions are taking place. If somebody wants, please take up research on
it. But don't just blame missionaries for conversion, for if I don't wish to
convert, how come a Christian missionary or a Muslim mulla can convert me
against my own will?

Regards

Rakesh