[Reader-list] "Kashmir struggle not for secularism: Mian Qayoom" (spitting on secularists)

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 16:18:06 IST 2009

Mian Abdul Qayoom is being honest when he is reported as describing "Kashmir struggle for freedom as an Islamic struggle"

Those who are familiar with Kashmir would recognise Mian Abdul Qayoom (President High Court Bar Association) as a prominent activist voice.

His statement exposes the hypocrisy of the likes of Yasin Malik and Maulvi Omar Farooq who would have everyone believe that the so called "Aazadi" movement in Kashmir has "secular" aspirations.

Mian Abdul Qayoom's exhortation  ‘if we want to achieve freedom we should have clarity about our goal.’ emphasises that this Islamic Separatist movement (so called "Aazadi") 'doesn’t have its foundation in the concept of secularism'

In this Mian Abdul Qayoom spits in the face of those in Kashmir, elsewhere in India and on SARAI List who (directly or indirectly) imply that the so called "Aazadi" movement in Kashmir is not an Islamic Separatist movement.

Kshmendra

"Kashmir struggle not for secularism: Mian Qayoom"
‘India accepts our animal existence only, denies us our human existence’

GK NEWS NETWORK

Srinagar, Dec 10: The High Court Bar Association president Mian Abdul Qayoom today described Kashmir struggle for freedom as an Islamic struggle, saying ‘if we want to achieve freedom we should have clarity about our goal.’

Addressing a seminar on human rights day at Sadder Court here, Qayoom said the resistance struggle demands fortitude. “Here is no room for becoming tired, bowing before occupation and to make a sell-out,” Qayoom said.

He said the resistance movement doesn’t have its foundation in the concept of secularism. Qayoom traced roots of the present movement in 1931 struggle and said at that time people had raised voice against the then government’s decision to impose ban on Eid Khutba and desecration of the Holy Qur’an. But in 1938, he said, Sheikh Abdullah turned it into a secular movement and Choudhary Ghulam Abbas temporary supported Sheikh. Choudary Abbas, he said, was soon to realize his mistake and he formed Muslim Conference to continue the struggle on Islamic pattern.

India in 1947, Qayoom said, took the dispute to the United Nations with an intention to declare Pakistan as aggressor. “India didn’t take Kashmir to UN for securing freedom for Kashmiris,” he said.

But the brilliant Sir Zaffarullah Khan, Qayoom said, sabotaged all the plans of India and UN passed resolution on the right to self-determination.

Qayoom said on December 10, 1948, the United Nations passed a declaration on human rights. He said the UN has not fixed any punishment as such for its violators. “India which is signatory of the declaration should under responsibility adhere to it,” he said. He said we should raise our voice and force India to adhere to the UN declaration.

“Our case is strong and we are weakening it by remaining silent,” he added. He said this time no leader would be allowed to commit mistake. “That era has gone when Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah had no one to advise and make him understand. He continued to make mistakes, from 1947 to 1975 and till his death in 1982,” Qayoom said.

He described mainstream leaders – Mufti Sayeed, Dr. Farooq Abdullah- as friends of India and ruled out any rapprochement with them.

Qayoom said people like O.P Shah were working for Indian interests and there was no need to meet them. He said, “Under Indian Independence Act, 1947, Kashmir was part of Pakistan.”

The High Court Bar Association General Secretary, Ghulam Nabi Shaheen, said that Government of India ‘accepts our animal existence and denies us our human existence.’
Shaheen described the CBI report on Shopian case as “legal, constitutional and institutional denial of justice.”

He condemned the attack on Fazal Haq Qurashi and said none should be condemned for his views.

The JKLF Chairman, Muhammad Yasin Malik, said the HCBA should invite intellectuals from India next time on this day. “It is they who should be questioned and asked about their role on human rights violations in Kashmir,” he said.

He described the HCBA as an intellectual institution and asked the lawyers to come up with intellectual discourse for the movement.

Malik said there was no requirement of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act in JK. He said in 2008 Kashmir showed transition from the violence to non-violence but the response of Indian State continued to be violent.

Referring to an incident of Budgam, Malik said villagers in Beerwah were beaten up by army irrespective of age and gender. He said army has no role ‘in our villages and cities.’
Senior lawyer Muhammad Ameen Bhat said Kashmiris should hold public inquiry of Shopian case. He said leadership should assign the inquiry to some judge and lawyers. “Those who are parties to the criminal act can’t be entrusted with the responsibility of justice,” he said and urged the leadership to devise strategy to tackle the issue.

Speakers during the function lauded the role of Bar in fighting the cases of detainees. This year alone the Bar has filed 257 writ petitions. Members nominated by Bar have been regularly visiting the jails and filing reports about the condition of detainees.

Former Joint Secretary Bar, Bashir Sidique, pointed towards various incidents highlighting the gross human rights violations in Kashmir. He said recently some children arrested on October 27 were forced to sodomise each other in custody. He said he took up their case. “I received threats but I have decided to punish those involved in the crime,” he added.

http://www.greaterkashmir.net/full_story.asp?Date=11_12_2009&ItemID=52&cat=21