[Reader-list] see some meaning in Yasin Malik's choice

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 21:17:01 IST 2009

Dear Aditya

After reading your mail, I must certainly respond to certain points raised
in your mail.

The first point is that of retribution. You have said that Yasin Malik
'should know how it feels
when bullet passes through his empty skull!' . This is highly atrocious
according to me, as atrocious as the migration of Kashmiri Pandits was.
While I don't deny that the Pandits didn't deserve to be punished for being
Indians, it doesn't mean that if Yasin Malik first organized violence, then
retributive action must be pursued against him. This already speaks of your
own mentality.

Mind you. It's not as if I don't feel retributive at all; there are times
when I feel that all BJP supporters should be cut down to pieces, and like
they organized Gujarat, all their supporters should be completely burnt in
an organized manner, so that they are never there back in the society.
However, I do realize, though somewhat late (fortunately this violent streak
in me never materializes), that this is not the way to go about solving such
problems. I don't agree with BJP, and those who follow it ideologically, but
they are also human beings and deserve dignity and right to life as much as
I do.

But you seem to have completely forgotten that. As much as you deserve
dignity of life and right to life, Yasin Malik also deserves it. And if you
think that he is an animal, don't forget that animals also have rights in
today's times(PETA is one of the organizations fighting for animals'
rights).

Secondly, doesn't a criminal deserve the chance to improve back on what he
did, and become a better human being? According to what I have heard, Yasin
Malik, was sentenced to jail in 1994-94, during which he had read 'My
Experiments With Truth' , the autobiography of Mahatma Gandhi, and after
reading it, asked JKLF, his own organization to lay down arms. Since then,
he has repeatedly asked for stopping of all violence, and also repeatedly
stated that Kashmiri Pandits should also be a part of 'azad' Kashmir.
Moreover, he has stated that violence doesn't lead to any solution; it leads
only to more violence.

Now, coming back to your point. Thirdly, if Yasin Malik is responsible for
the rapes and killings in the Valley to begin with, which led to the exodus
of the Pandits on a large scale, there are cases pending against him. Get
those cases tried quickly, put pressure on the Indian Union, and get him
convicted if you have evidence to back your claim, instead of first
indulging in PR-exercise on sarai list, and following the tried and tested
policy of Bush and Modi, which is 'repeat a thing 1000 times, and it becomes
the truth'. If Malik is responsible for all this, can't you get him
sentenced in any case? Or is only repeating perceptions and spreading them
within your control, and getting him tried and convicted beyond your
control?

Fourthly. From the way I have seen, it seems that Kashmiri Pandits always
want to put themselves up as victims to earn sympathies and brownie points
all the time. I have never seen these kind of comments from other kinds of
victims or refugees come up, be it Nandigram and Singur people who suffered
due to the machinisations of the Left Front Govt. of Bengal, nor be the
tribals who suffer in various states right from policies of development
which are flawed to the Salwa Judums and others; nor have I seen Muslims
complaining themselves so much about the conditions in which they are living
post-2002 riots.

Who says Pandits haven't suffered? I dont' say that. And neither does anyone
on this list say that? But it seems that Pandits have decided that any
solution on Kashmir should only and only take them into account. As if
Pandits only are humans, and all the Kashmiri Muslims are inhumans. So today
they want Panun Kashmir, and it must be given to them on a platter,
disregarding the fact that a majority of population in Kashmir don't want
that. Similarly, what they want is justified, and if somebody has a view
contrary to that, he/she is either an anti-national or a terrorist. Why, may
I know that?

I would suggest Pandits, to stop acting as citizens, and first of all act as
human beings. That would be better. Citizenship is an invention of history,
but human beings are not. At least learn humanity first. Try to understand
that even your 'opponents' in this case are human beings, and try to
inculcate teachings of your own religion (Hinduism) before propagating any
kind of violence against them.

It doesn't mean you dont' ask for justice. It means that you don't ask for
retributive action against them.

Regards

Rakesh