[Reader-list] Omar Abdullah barred from performing Umrah due to marrying a non-muslim (Sikh) woman

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 20:14:19 IST 2009

 Omar Abdullah barred from performing Umrah due to marrying a non-muslim
(Sikh) woman

 Shabir Ibn Yusuf      Thursday, 12 February 2009

SRINAGAR: The Saudi Arabia government has denied permission to Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah for performing the Umrah. His  martial status has
been cited the cause of denial.

Kashmir grand Mufti says Omar can not perform the Umrah and termed the
decision of Saudi government as landmark decision.

Omar along with his father and former chief minister Dr Farooq Abdullah was
scheduled to leave for Umrah this month. "He has not been allowed by the
Saudi government," said senior government official.

According sources in the government the documents for his Umrah were sent to
Saudi embassy and they informed the Omar they "You are barred" and his non-
Muslim wife has been cited the reason. "The column in which Omar has written
the status has been encircled," the source said. It needs a mention here
that Omar's wife Payal belongs to Sikh dynasty.

In Arabic, the word 'Umrah is derived from I'timaar which means a visit.
However, 'Umrah in Islamic terminology, means paying a visit to Ka' bah,
performing Tawaaf (circumambulation) around it, walking between Safaa and
Marwah seven times. A performer of 'Umrah puts off his Ihraam by having his
hair shaved or cut. 'Umrah can be performed along with Hajj and in other
days as well.

Sources said after the denial Omar visited Ajmer Sharief to pay homage, "He
visited the Ajmer Sharief and paid homage there," the sources added.

The officials and ministers in government are not ready to comment at all.
"This is personal, I would not comment," said a senior officer adding,
"Please do not quote me." "We are Jammu and Omar Sahib has left somewhere,"
he added further.

One of his ministers in his cabinet termed it strange question and said,
"Please do not ask me this question, ask CM sahib."

Mufti Bashir-u-Din, the grand Mufti of Kashmir said that Omar can not
perform the Umrah. "He is a Muslim and his wife is not Muslim," he said
adding, "According to Islamic principals he can not and the decision of
Saudi government is a landmark decision."