[Reader-list] Commonwealth Games Village

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue Feb 17 11:02:35 IST 2009

The Commonwealth Village houses were being sold at 15,000 Rs per sq
ft. Now apparently there is no buyers. So bailout. best jeebesh

www.yamunajiyeabhiyaan.blogspot.com

To,

Sri Tejendra Khanna
Hon'ble Lt Governor
DELHI

Respected Sir,

Greetings from Yamuna Jiye Abhiyaan.

Recent media reports indicates that DDA is seeking ways and means to
bail out the MGF-EMAAR with respect to the ill planned Games Village
project in the river bed.

Sir, in this context allow us to bring the following to your kind
notice:

a)      Under the PPP model the state (in turn the tax payer) should
not be investing any resources under any bail out arrangement or the
like. It is unbelievable that a global player like the EMAAR should
not be having its own resources to complete a 'small sized' (in view
of global operations of EMAAR) project like the one under
consideration. We may not succumb to EMAAR to work up a bail out
package on an emotional issue like the future of Games, etc.
b)      Allow us to remind that during the hearing in the Yamuna Case
at the High Court of Delhi, the Hon'ble Solicitor General defending
the construction was at pains to remind the court about the virtues of
the PPP model under which the state was not having to spend any money
towards the construction.
c)      It is also a well known fact that the DLF is having problem in
completing the International Convention complex in Dwarka which it had
won in a bid.

In the light of the above facts and since the client in both the cases
is the same, namely the DDA, we suggest, if we may that let the Games
Village be shifted to Dwarka and let DLF and EMAAR jointly complete a
complex which could be used as a Games Village for the duration of the
Games and then have a perfectly valid legacy value as an International
Convention Complex later on.

The above as suggested is in our view, the most logical planning,
which in its wisdom the DDA should have done in the first place. Allow
us to mention that this option we had suggested long back too.

By doing so, while the river bed would be saved from devastation it is
witnessing at the moment, the nation would get redeemed in the eyes of
the world since we had promised at Jamaica (when the Games were
awarded to IOA for hosting in Delhi) that the "Games Village site is
proximate to the Airport". It would also take away the anxiety of the
Games organisers of safe and quick transport of the participants from
the airport to the village and vice versa.

The suggestion as above if implemented, in our view would be win-win
from all angles and hence we hope would deserve your all attention.

With warm regards,

Manoj Misra
Convenor

--