[Reader-list] An open letter to the JNU vice chancellor from his students.

Students jnu savejnu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 09:56:02 IST 2009

*An open letter to the Vice-Chancellor of JNU from his students*

* *

Respected Sir,

We express our grave anxiety regarding the recent developments in JNU. We
believe that the following steps taken by the JNU administration have raised
the apprehension of the student community regarding the future of the
democratic, socially inclusive character of JNU.

1.      Installation of electric meters in Koena Hostel for individual
rooms.

2.      Hike in the prospectus fee.

3.      Unnecessary investment in the beautification of the campus when
several ba sic necessities (like 24X7 healthcare, hostel allotment for the
students etc.) of the student community remain unfulfilled.

4.      Destruction and commercialization of the natural habitat of JNU.

5.      Lack of clarity regarding the implementation of OBC reservation.

We believe that JNU has been one of the unique institutions of the country
which has kept its doors open for all sections of society, especially those
coming from the more backward sections. The rise in the prospectus fee will
discredit this social cause that JNU has been hailing historically. We also
believe that installing meters in individual rooms of hostels will affect
the academic atmosphere of the campus by increasing the financial burden on
the students. Commercialization of such basic amnesties like electricity is
highly unfortunate in a university which celebrates the idea of the state's
responsibility in higher education. We are also deeply concerned about the
commercialization and destruction of the natural landscape of JNU which is
inalienable from whatever JNU stands for.

We believe that the recent impasse in JNU is the result of a difference of
opinion about the future of JNU that has to be addressed through continuous
communication between the administration and the representatives of the
various sections of the university community. The situation demands that the
channels of negotiation should be opened with the JNUSU so that there is no
misunderstanding among the different constituents of the JNU
community. *Therefore
sir, we expect from you that as the Vice-Chancellor of the institution you
will uphold the best democratic tradition of constructive dialogue in JNU
founded on the basis of continuous debates, discussions and cooperation
among students, teachers, workers and the administration, and immediately
initiate discussion and negotiation with the representatives of the
concerned sections.*  We know that this is the only way to resolve the
present crisis.

We hope that you would appreciate our concern and take all necessary steps
so that the normal academic atmosphere of the university prevails.

Waiting in anticipation

Yours sincerely

Md. Ajijul Dadri, Jeyakirthana. J, Sinjini Basu, Dhrupadi Chattopadhay,
Kavita Bharati, Mohsena Newaz, Nidhi Lakhotia, Avadesh Kumar, Shivangi
Sinha, Purushottam, Aditya Prakash, Samanna Madhuri, Sunil Kumar, Shafiqul
Alam, Manoj Kr., Himalaya Goyel, Vikram, Shivendra kr. Sinha, Priyanka Basu,
Himadri Shekhar Dhar, Bhawana Chaudhuri, Ratnashree Patowari, Tapasik,
Sandeep, Ashutosh Dayal, Pawan Kundu, Saswata Bhattacharya, Fahim Khan,
Aftab Alam, Babloo Rau, Sabyasachi saha, Joydev Dube, Benil Biswas, Noon
Chamar, Anu, Anupam Keshav, Abhishek, Amit Ranjan, Veer, Neikolie Knotson,
Md. Wahiullah, Anshuman Rahul, Suraj Kumar, Mukesh Kr. Shino Jose, Sanjeev
Kr., Chandrashekhar,  Prabhat Chandra Rai, Anees, Avijit Das, Suhail-ul-
Islam, Aditya Ruhela, Arun Kr. Ved Prakash, Manish, Satyanarayana, Sumit
Tripathi, Subin Dennis, H.M Imran, Prakash Kr. Ray, Sanjeev Kumar, Nitin
Bharadwaj, Tufai jarul, Chittoranjan Kumar, Anil Kumar, Murari Singh, Subir
Dey, Ajay Prakash, Jhinuk Sen, Madhura Mukhopaddhay, Mousumi Mandal, Akash
Raha, Sujoi Thakur, Sandip Singh, Karuna Rajiv, Anamika Poonia, Meeta
Solanki, Jnaliu Golmei, Kasturi, Seetha, Mahwash Sheeki, Shabnam, Gulshan,
Devashri Sinha, Mahalat S. Fudong, Nisha, Sneh Sudha, Sohinee, Karunabh,
Smaeer, Kunal, Saptarshi Chaudhuri, Agnitra, Amish Verma, Niraj Kumari, Jeet
Bhattacharya, Tianla, sipara Sagarika, Anuradha Sharma, Veena Pani, Anita
Meena, protiva Kudu, Suman Singh, Anita Khalkho, Vismay Basu, Urvashi Tilak,
Payel Srivastav, Meenakshi, Saheli Chattaraj, Anna Levidhava.

--
Save JNU is a campaign launched by some concerned students of Jawaharlal
Nehru University as a protest against joint onslaught of the State and The

We stand united against all forms of onslaught on JNU' s unique democratic
and social inclusive character.