[Reader-list] see some meaning in Yasin Malik's choice..????....

Lalit Ambardar lalitambardar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 01:44:19 IST 2009

Dear Inder,
First thing first. Thanks for permitting me to have my own understanding of that touching installation /performance of yours 'I am neither here nor there'. That you share the sentiment about the tragic 'loss of our ground' is quite satisfying. It is sad that the tragedy of our forced displacement from our ‘roots’ has generally gone unnoticed.

And I can not but agree about the theme 'disappearance of feminine'. I believe that a bit of 'femininity' in all men would have made this world a better place to live in.

I think this whole notion of 'state nation' game is too exaggerated. It will be too idealistic to expect complete harmony over different issues between the nations. Every state will accord priority to its own interests. Even the European model that you have quoted has its own internal contradictions-the common language issue, dissolving of local currencies, sharing wealth & resources with the less privileged nations in the continent etc. Yet, what has been achieved is commendable-e.g. English language is not any more looked down upon in non English speaking countries etc. But the fact remains that the borders may have been 'dissolved' but no country has compromised on its territories or interests. And let us not forget what they together with US did to Tito's Yugoslavia. Turkey's entry in to EU continues to be procrastinated for whatever reason.

By the way, you mentioned about 'Muslim Turkey' not allowing a SWAT like situation. You will agree, it is only due to the 'secular' credentials of the army there that the propensity to impose fundamentalism at political level remains under check. Let us hope & prey that the legendary Kamal Ata Turk's legacy will continue to prevail there. Ironically, it is the 'control' of the army that is regarded as one of the hitches coming in the way of Turkey's entry in to the EU.

As for Pakistan, the importance of good neighbourly relations can not be undermined. But it is for Pakistan to assess that .The use of pan Islamism inspired terrorism as part of its continued belligerence against India is now beginning to take a heavy toll on Pakistan itself. Today SWAT has fallen, tomorrow it could be Peshawar & ………….

See the role of civil society there too has been that of an adversary as for as India is concerned. Pan Islamic terrorism in Kashmir was always justified in the name of 'Azadi' – whose azadi….????.... of a few disgruntled Kashmiri Muslim politicians…???...... And look what blood havoc they created in our own Kashmir using their guns, money & mercenaries & a bunch of their henchmen in Kashmir.

 As you sow, so shall you reap. Pity….

Poor Benazir, so sad she fell victim to the very beast that she unleashed in our Kashmir…remember her war cries in 1990…???... ‘Jagmohan ko bagmohan karo’ …..etc.etc….

You & me –we Kashmiris including the common Kashmiri Muslims even though many of them did also fall prey to the indoctrination as well as other interests ,can not ignore the scars on our psyche, inflicted by jihad from Pakistan. Reconciliation is going to be a long drawn affair..

The contention that the overwhelming turn out in recent elections was for bijli, pani & sadak only prolongs our agony. Because, one the Kashmiri Muslim separatists had issued an unambiguous dictate against elections & they have always advocated 'azadi- bara- e- Islam' i.e. ‘freedom through Islam’ over development ( …..many parts of Kashmir continue to resemble a ‘run over’  medieval battlefield – the burnt down houses of exiled Kashmiri Pandits along the Jhelum banks…….) & two because the Kashmiri Muslim masses rejected the calls of boycott braving threats & coercion .And third because the common people choose deliberate  silence & there was no uproar against the detention of separatists.

 Look at the helplessness of these few scoundrels who have been holding the valley & the country for ransom for the past two decades. To talk of Kashmir ‘issue’ at this stage indicates a sinister design by their facilitators out side the valley as well as the vested interests within the valley & outside, to resurrect the dead. It only gives credence to the 'game' that you have referred to.

 The common people have done it .Now it is the time for the poets, artists & intellectuals in the valley to come forward & break their conspicuous silence. It is not just enough to ‘feel sad’ over the violation of the serenity of our beloved valley by a few of our own who choose to burn our own backyard at the behest of our neighbour. Isn’t it sad that that the ‘pen’ & the ‘brush’ failed to exercise their might against the jihadi guns? Do you recall the courage of that teacher in Swat who out rightly refused to wear his shelwar above his knee & was beheaded, recently? If only the masses in Kashmir had not succumbed to the religious blackmail, the fear of the gun & the dictates during 1989-90………..

And, I do not disagree that one day one of the terror commanders may as well swear by the Indian constitution & become the Chief Minister of J&K state. But will it not be a travesty of justice if those who should be tried for crimes against humanity are ever allowed to rule the state?

While the plight of innocent Tamils in Sri Lanka warrants immediate attention, the Sri Lanka can not be faulted for its fight against those who have been using terror for political purposes.

As for Pakistan, do you really think that today even Pakistanis themselves would be interested to play or watch cricket in the wake of their President’s candid admission that Pakistan is in the danger of being taken over by marauding Taliban……. Af-Pak itself is a serious ‘game’ now…????.....

I sincerely share your concerns over criminalisation of politics, growing corruption, dynasty politics in a democracy, preservation of heritage, environment, fake medicines, and mindless corporatisation of our day to day lives ,etc etc…………
Regards
LA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:04:39 +0530> From: indersalim at gmail.com> To: reader-list at sarai.net> Subject: Re: [Reader-list] see some meaning in Yasin Malik's choice> > Dear Lalit> > some one very interestingly wrote, that how India is happy to play> cricket with Sri Lanka who have devastated the entire population of> Sri Lankan Tamils, but have refused to play Pakistan. Sri Lanka and> Pakistan happily played their series, and now Inida is happily> playing their game. Note the word Game. The nation state is also a> game, which suits it from time to time, Right, but we deserve to have> our own view points about the games being played across the table.> > Now, with Yasin Malik, you are only proving me right. I quote you,> "last year but for the timely intervention of the security forces his> cohorts would have been lynched by the followers of that part time> moolvi/separatist ..."> > Read timely intervention of Security Forces, and his opposition within> Kashmir. Are not these two position completely in sync with what i am> trying to high light? . Is it in the Interest of India to save Yasin> Malik , and is it in the interest of Kashmiri Muslims to see him> 'lynched' ? If both Kashmiri Muslims and Kashmiri Hindus are enemies> of Yasin Malik then who is whose enemy right now. Why dont Kashmiri> Pandits trust the present legitimate Govt. and return back to their> 'Root in Kashmir'. Any hindrance to that lies in the fact that> Pakistani activists are still active in the valley, right, that means> Kashmiri muslims are not enemies of Kashmiri pandits but only> Pakistani establishment, say ISI. And if we say that there is no> difference between Kashmiri muslim and Pakistanis then we know it is> pakistan and we are dealing with one enemy which has its army, its> police, its intelligence, its cricket team and its nuclear weapons.> > who will answer these question? you have raised them, i agree, but why> dont we see the Kashmir problem from different perspective. The> Nationalistic one is too known, Pakistani one is in contrast with> that. But what is new. I am not even talking about a new formation of> a new country. But how to resolve the Kashmir dispute. How to> negotiate LOC. How to dissolve territories in the world. Europe has> done it, why dont we imitate their good things. The possibilities are> endless.> > I dont mind if Yasin Malik is replaced by some one more sincere to> the problem itself. There are chances, history might repeat itself,> like Sheikh Mohd Abdullah he too might enter an accord with center,> and later on give us a handsome son like Farooq Abullah and his son> like Umar Abudullah to Kashmir who might rule as CM in Kashmir in> future. Who knows what is relevant to future generations. So why not> to cultivate a personal intellect to understand the problem, not only> Kashmir but other problems too.> > The recent election as we know are all about Bijli, Panni and saddak.> Some opportunities for parents to see their children read and write> and earn a dignified life. Besides that, i am not too interested in> Dynasty politics which is running the whole show for Indian Democracy> all over the country. I see, Zardari and Sonia Gandhi strangely> related to each other: Unknown Brother, Unknown Sister.> > You mentioned about my performance at Arpana Gallery, ' I am neither> here, nor there'. thanks for that. We both agree that we have lost the> ground. But i was not not only doing it about Kashmir, but about the> disappearance of ' the feminine' from our sensibilities, and how to> restore that, and how to realize the trace of the ' that sensibility'> within ones own being, given the situation of a up turned box with> garments scattered here and there.> Please see the images , http://indersalim.livejournal.com/56394.html> and i wish you write something on that too.> > From here, i take the point to something entirely unrelated to Kashmir> problem and yet there is a connection.> A homeless family ( hindu ) was living in a 600 year old Muslim> monument in Delhi. The family is fighting a legal case with Waqf Board> regarding the ownership of the ancient ruins which was turned into a> home with water and electricity. Right. Imagine the family was a> migrant from Paskitan or a dalit who had no access to land and other> resources. Right, he needs to the thrown out, as he was but not now,> the way he was, it should not happened in first place, silly that it> happened 60 years ago.> > Now on the other side of the city: Surpreme court today said that> Cars are choking the city space. The industry of cars is stealing the> public space. If we all are collectively hand in glove with stealing> of the precious space what moral right we have to protest the> occupation of a Heritage structure by a homelss family. We are blind> to monumental tragedies that are happening around us. We are> unwittingly ready to forgive all the criminals in the parliament, and> give awards to manufacturers of fake medicine and what not. We can> go to any extent if our son dream to follow Rajju of Satyam. I see a> Raju in every corporate house. We are sadly part of the whole choas.> How it happens, and as i said, i am also looking for answers. There is> a Kashmiri Proverb, ' Sajde divan zale, handvend gatschan yeere' ( We> are too occupied to capture the small things, like straws, while> bigger things like water-melons keep on drifting )> > Something similar is happening in Kashmir. Perhaps, we are too> nationalistically thinking about it, when the Nation State itself is> playing Games which are unknown to us.> > My guess is that rigidity of Nation State in dealing with issues like> Kashmir pushes the entire population to frenzy, and embrace> fundamentalism. You know how poets artists and intellectuals in> Kashmir are sad about the present situation. They are unable to> express freely, but who is responsible. Indian Sate policy never did a> bit to restore the ancient legacy of Kashmir. Swat like situation is> unfortunately gifted to us by Anglo-Amercian policies and their> yes-men in our politics. Why Muslim Turkey is not giving birth of> Swat like situations. Why were people in Swat were as gentle as> people living in our kashmiri neighbourhood. Or, all people full of> possibilities, are vulnerable to become Buddhists, Muslims,> Communists, Hindus and even Nazis at the same time? Just by sporting> a white collar and a red tie in a car does not make one a great human> being. I am not saying, driving a car is ugly, but what i am trying> to say here is that in absence of so called Muslim Terrorism the world> is not a heavenly place to live in. I believe, the systems of ways of> living on this planet earth are bound create VIOLENCE this way or that> way.> > It is just a way of looking at what is more violent and what is less> violent. Non-violence is perhaps deeper than a simple definition of> not-killing the other. Violence on the other hand is affecting our> lives from head to toe, This is truly a subjective discussion, but> what is other way ?> > I am trying to understand, just like an average a student> > with love and regards> inder salim> > > > > > > > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Lalit Ambardar> <lalitambardar at hotmail.com> wrote:> > Coming from the author of such a touching presentation like "na ches taty,> > na yeti"( i am neither there nor here) this attempt to surrect now almost> > abandoned 'original sinner' who founded the 'gun' culture in the valley at> > the behest of his Pakistani masters is intriguing.> >> > Kashmiris, in the past two decades have gone through the hell -> > the selective brutal targetting that led to the ethnic cleansing of Kashmiri> > Hindu Pandits in the valley -the plight of ordinary Kashmiri Muslims who> > were coerced in to following the jihadi diktats- the destruction of the very> > social fabric called Kashmiriyat etc. etc.........& who claimed credit for> > having ferried weapons in to Kashmir to launch the jihad - the one you are> > trying to glorify.> >> > Please,understand he does not represent the Kashmiri Muslims - last year but> > for the timely intervention of the security forces his cohorts would have> > been lynched by the followers of that part time moolvi/separatist Umar> > Farooq when JKLF wanted to open an outlet in the territory of Umar Farooq> > only a couple of kilometres away from the JKLF fiefdom .> >> > The misery of exodus is not missed in your post but the frustration canot> > be justify glorification of a terrorist .> >> > It is difficult to guess the motive that has driven a well qualified artist> > towards a terror commander at whose instigation & motivation hundreds of> > docile Kashmiri Muslims, in the name of Islam,embraced death leaving behind> > their mothers ,widows & orphans wailling for their loved ones.> >> > It could be akin to the infatuation of that Napales damsel for that serial> > 'bikini killer' or it is all in the name of jihad......????....> >> >> > Will marital bliss to this killer of Kashmiriyat make him repent for his> > deeds .......???.....> >> > Or is this a ploy to generate sympathy to escape the law.....????.......or> > part of a new game.....???.....> >> > Regards all> > LA> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 20:39:25 +0530> >> From: indersalim at gmail.com> >> To: reader-list at sarai.net> >> Subject: [Reader-list] see some meaning in Yasin Malik's choice> >>> >> Dear all> >> Please click the web site by Musaall Mullick, Fiancée of Yasin Malik,> >> the well known 'rebel' leader from Jammu and Kashmir. I think it is> >> interesting.> >>> >> http://mushaalmullick.com/default.aspx> >>> >> I have pasted this link, precisely to see some meaning in Yasin> >> Malik's choice. One of Musaall's water colour is titled 'Shame of the> >> Humanity'. It shows a young girl child who deserves all the attention.> >>> >> Yasin Malik has lot of admirers and critic around the world; that> >> applies even to Kashmir valley. Only time will tell us how seriously> >> he grasped the Kashmir issue.> >>> >> Perhaps, this latest step speaks something about his priorities.> >> Certainly, if SAS Geelani, his Hurriyat colleague, was young and> >> going to be married, he would not have chosen a girl like Musaall as> >> his Shareek-e-Hayyat ( better half ), but some one who would prefer to> >> stay behind veil all the time.> >>> >> One of the water colour of Musaall depicts a woman with a Bindi (> >> predominately used by Hindu women ). What does that mean? It means, a> >> Swat Valley like situation is certainly not Yasin Malik's cup of tea,> >> but something which has a space for freedom, freedom of choice,> >> particularly for women.> >>> >> Only time will tell us whether Yasin's Malik's Safar-e-Azadi will take> >> Kashmir on the path which is meaningful for both Musaall-Malik jodi> >> but People in general as well. There is ray of hope hidden in his> >> choice to wed a painter living in London. Imran Khan, the> >> cricketer-politician did almost similar to that, but failed to mix his> >> choice with his political vision. Will Yasin too follow Imran, or will> >> he let Musaall speak her mind freely ?> >>> >> Kashmir is seriously looking forward to see someone who speaks boldly> >> about the situation of women in J&K. For example, no woman in J&K has> >> any legal rights to retain a square inch of land in case she happens> >> to get married to a non-J&K citizen. That is truly against Women. But> >> slowly, I want Yasin to speak about this issue as well, even at the> >> cost of popularity. No previous govt has dared to speak about this> >> issue. The present Govt in J&K too will never support any idea like> >> that. So, he can outwit them on this account. This is golden chance.> >> Things like that can bring some real changes for a smooth and> >> dignified return of Kashmiri Pandits to Valley.> >>> >> The other issue is environment, which is as serious as Women's issues.> >> I have not gone though his agenda of Safray-Azadi but I wish issues> >> like that are thoroughly woven in his Azadi text. He needs to speak> >> about the need to protect the flora and fauna in J&K, besides a> >> sincere call for a simple living. He needs to talk about the revival> >> of folk arts and other forms of artistic expressions.> >>> >> This I am writing at a time when J&K is entering a special post free> >> election phase for a great good governance. But that is that. We still> >> have KASHMIR ISSUE, staring into our eyes as before. So, when every> >> other intellectual in India is dismissive about Hurriyat who obviously> >> gained nothing by giving Boycott call for Elections; I see them very> >> much there, as significant as ever.> >>> >> Indeed people like me who were victims of 1990 approach to Kashmir> >> Problem, but I believe, that some fresh approach is needed to> >> understand Kashmir. It just happens that Kashmir is a Muslim Majority> >> area, but Kashmir is not a Muslim problem, but a problem similar to> >> Buddhist Tibet. There has to be some inner need to understand the> >> troubles which a line called 'territory' inflicts on us. Why Kashmir> >> was divided. What is LOC after all?> >>> >> I know, there will be lot of angry reaction to this small mail, but I> >> hope some restraint, and cool minded approach. I am truly myself> >> looking for some answers. I don't see a great politician around with> >> some vision to bring a real change in our society, both at grass root> >> level and beyond.> >>> >> Capitalistic and narrow minded politics has ruined our systems of> >> living, and we are left with a situation like in Gaza where Israel is> >> openly killing women and children. Europe and America are silent,> >> which means they are not bothered by Palestine problem as they see it.> >> So, Hamas is bad, even when they have people's support.> >>> >> So, imagine, if tomorrow Hurriyat decides to fight elections in J&K ,> >> and if they come to power and declare freedom on the very first day of> >> office, what choice India has? Arrest them there, with head lines> >> against Indian Democracy all over the world. So, is non-participation> >> is a blessing in disguise for Indian Government ?> >>> >> Let us talk to Yasin, more meaningfully, than before. I am talking> >> on my own behalf.> >>> >> With love and regards> >> Inder salim> >>> >>> >> --> >> _________________________________________> >> reader-list: an open discussion list on media and the city.> >> Critiques & Collaborations> >> To subscribe: send an email to reader-list-request at sarai.net with> >> subscribe in the subject header.> >> To unsubscribe: https://mail.sarai.net/mailman/listinfo/reader-list> >> List archive: &lt;https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>> >> >> > ________________________________> > Need more space to upload pictures? Get 25 GB online storage with Windows> > Live SkyDrive! Try it!> > > > -- > > http://indersalim.livejournal.com> _________________________________________> reader-list: an open discussion list on media and the city.> Critiques & Collaborations> To subscribe: send an email to reader-list-request at sarai.net with subscribe in the subject header.> To unsubscribe: https://mail.sarai.net/mailman/listinfo/reader-list > List archive: &lt;https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>