[Reader-list] Fareed Zarkaria Unmasked

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 09:55:45 IST 2009

Dear Naveed Nasir,

Thank you for your curiousness.It is good that you asked me this question
that would explain me why some Kashmiri Pandits have this surname.

I feel sorry to say that your understanding of my 'Durani' surname is wrong.
Here goes the correct version.

It is not only during Panipat battle , but Kashmir for a long time was also
under Afghan rule. Afghan fanatics , as usual were illiterate and believed
in might of sword and the kingdom did need some intelligent people who can
read, write and keep records. At that time they did not have any choice in
Kashmir , but to chose among local Kashmiri Hindus.

One of my great great grandfather was supposed to be one such 'minister'
during the Afghan rule in Kashmir. He was supposed to be very brave and in
one incident when Dal lake was frozen, he is supposed to have ran his horse
over the frozen dal.

The Afghan king was surprised to see this bravery in a Kashmiri Hindu and he
called all public and said that it was rare to find such a brave Kashmiri
Hindu who was 'as brave as a Afghan Durani'. He later ordered all to refer
us as "Durani' only.

All Kashmiri Hindu Duranis are from the Gotra 'Pat Swami Kasushika' .

You would be surprised that you would even find 'Khan' as a surname of
Kashmiri Hindu and 'Pandit' as a surname of Kashmiri Muslim.

For more details , please check http://www.koausa.org/Names/Gotras.html

God Bless .........and would you kindly share what was the surname of your
great great great grandfather ?

Regards

Pawan Durani