[Reader-list] "Stand up to the mullahs" - Vir Sanghvi

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu Feb 26 15:54:17 IST 2009

Dear all, dear Rakesh,

I am substantially in agreement with what Rakesh has written in
response to my posting, and I think the distinction that he makes
between 'faith' and 'religion' is an important and nuanced one.
However, in my view, both 'faith' and 'religion' can be tolerant, or
not, depending on practice, and the reception of practice, by
individuals and communities. The trouble with ascribing an attribute
such as openness or tolerance to this or that faith is that the
exercise is usually unanchored in time, space or historicity.
Whenever, anyone says anything (positive, or negative) about Islam or
Hinduism or Christianity, (or any X system of beliefs) my immediate
response is to ask, which Islam (or X), who's Islam, and what
historical period we are talking about. Islam as practiced in
Andalusia or in the Ottoman Empire or in the Deccan or in

Faith, even if it is personal, can give rise to personal closure and
denial, just as much as it can give rise to openness and acceptance,
at a personal level. Religion (which I ultimately take to be  an
expression of the boundedness of being - religio comes from the latin
root for 'binding') can give rise to affirmation and denial, openness
and closure in different, though related ways to faith. So while I
appreciate Rakesh Iyer's nuanced attempt to separate faith from
religion, I still think that the broad argument that I was making
holds, in different, and connected ways, for both faith, and religion

regards

Shuddha

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS