[Reader-list] "Stand up to the mullahs" - Vir Sanghvi

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 18:56:37 IST 2009

Dear Shuddha

I have often expressed my admiration for you. That includes (in some measure) your meticulously researched references. Sadly, not this time. My admiration though does not lessen.

You have picked the words 'Sarai liberals and secularists' from Yousuf's mail. I never wrote them.

My words were:

"""" Wonder why the usual bunch of Liberal/Secular voices on SARAI Reader List selectively (and with obvious bias) practice their Liberalism/Secularism/Expression-Freedomism.""""""

I was clearly talking about the (SARAI) Reader List and not SARAI.

Subsequent to this mis-recognition by you, your follow-up comments on SARAI and "SARAI positions" and admonishments directed at me, become academic.

As far as the inmates of the SARAI Reader List are concerned, my wonderment is undiminished about the "usual bunch of Liberal/Secular voices" who "selectively (and with obvious bias) practice their Liberalism/Secularism/Expression-Freedomism"

Also, I stand by my judgment "Would it have been any different if in an analogous situation it had be "Hindus" protesting instead of "Muslims"? Undoubtedly Yes."

Incidentally, I found very interesting two positions articulated by you:

1. "I am not committed to any state form"

    That is a dismissal of organised societies as they exist today. But only a dismissal. It would be interesting to know what is the alternate 'system' or 'non-system' you propose. Otherwise the alternate that suggests itself is one of a "Jungle Raj"

     From my point of view, without the State there is no provisioning possible of a Regulatory Environment. Without a Regulatory Environment there can be no protection for the Freedoms one can avail of. Without Freedoms, humans are just caged animals. But, Freedoms cannot be absolute and unbridled. The balancing off between the Freedoms of each individual so that each one can avail of them in equal measure, can only be ensured by the Regulated Environment through governance. For governance you need specified territorial domain. A Territorial Domain is the State.

2. "I  support the right to be heretical, blasphemous, and subversive in any context with reference to anything that is held sacred or sacrosanct by anybody, including myself."

    The stated by you rights (excluding 'subversive') can certainly function in a society that has evolved to such levels of tolerance. Their availability cannot be imposed on people unless the people are comfortable in accepting such rights as being available to another person.

    The right to be "subversive" will never be made available by the State. It is self-destructive.

There is a contradiction in these two positions of yours.

You are not committed to the State and yet you want rights. Only the State can make available your rights and regulate their protection. Without the State there will be anarchy.

Each individual allowed to decide his/her own set of 'Rights' may, in fact will, lead to conflict between individuals. That is "Jungle Raj".

I am sure you have a different and non-foreboding scenario in mind.

Take care

Kshmendra