[Reader-list] protests against Gaza Siege - ideological arrogance

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 19:47:32 IST 2009

Dear Kshamendra

Thank you very much for that compliment! I must say I was thrilled, as
anybody would be on hearing their praise.

Having said that, I would also inform you and all others, that I actually
have been changing my ideologies practically across the years. Before
Gujarat happened, I was a BJP supporter, a hardcore one; I opposed
Valentine's Day as well. But Gujarat shocked me. I could never in my
conscience support a party which allowed rapes to take place so easily, so
as to teach Muslims a lesson. Even if I believed that Modi was not
responsible for this, the fact that Bajrang Dal volunteers had done it, was
shocking. However, I did believe even then that Muslims were being appeased.
And then, I used to see it as pleasing them.

The next two changes were actually ironical. First, I met Aashish, in my
college, who is doing Masters in Development Studies. He was someone who
completely exposed the myths of the Right Wing in India before me. And also,
he supported one important allegation of the Right Wing, which was that
appeasement of Muslims was being done. Because for him, appeasement meant
pleasing someone for the sake of pleasing. And he saw that Congress and
other parties were doing so only to win Muslim votes, rather than do
anything for the sake of their development. The Sachar Committee Report is a
testimony to the fact.

 And ironically, I practically fought debates with him, only to lose every
time. And the second was Singur. The Left, whom I had began to admire
somewhat, had committed the biggest blunder. And of course, the fact that
Jyoti Basu and their ministers, on one hand had got their children educated
in English medium schools, while banning English in West Bengal in primary
and secondary education, made me realize that the Left is as much a bogus
party as is the BJP, although in their case, at least their goal is right.

The last thing which made me confident about changing my views was a
statement made by Keynes, one of the three famous names in Economics (the
other two being Adam Smith and Karl Marx). He had said that change was the
law of nature, and so it wasn't wrong if one changed his thinking with time,
provided there was a sound backing for it. And the best example was Gandhi.
Gandhi changed from accepting his throwing out from a train in South Africa,
to not accepting mistreatment of Indians in South Africa and in their own
country. He changed his views on medicines and doctoral treatment, a number
of times.

One may say that our netas also change their parties and ideas at the drop
of hat, especially during elections. What separates Gandhi from this, is
that not only did he change his ideas, he accepted that he had done so among
the public, and practiced them wholeheartedly, till he got a new idea which
he found to be better for the people, and hence acceptable. The two may be
contradicting, but even then, he had an understanding of India, a good
understanding of Indian culture and Indian society. And that is why he is
regarded as great, while the netas of India are just treated with disdain by
virtually every section of the society.

I don't say I understand India necessarily. Born in an urban setup, I don't
have any knowledge of the rural India. The knowledge I have got, and the
knowledge I will get, will be from books of scholars who travel there. I
don't know many things. But yes, terrorism is as much a problem for me, as
say, my own love-life going haywire.

I am not modest. Yes, truth be told, like every human being, I would love to
have power, have the best praise be showered upon me, and I am flattered by
the praise I received, and I would even like to be called the best. And it's
not as if I am a follower of Gandhi. I am not a follower of anyone, probably
except myself. And I do have an ego, as I see it (I will try not to involve
this in any discussion, it hampers them).

One thing for all as well. I know some of us call this debates, but I would
like to call this, discussions. Because debates involve ego, discussions
don't.

Thanks to Aashish, by the way, for discussions and for also getting me
introduced to this list.

Regards

Rakesh