[Reader-list] News Items posted on the net on Multipurpose National Identity Cards-72

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:50:38 IST 2009

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Move_to_make_ID_cards_mandatory_impractical_BJP/articleshow/2677314.cms

The Times of India

Move to make ID cards mandatory impractical: BJP
5 Jan 2008, 1810 hrs IST, PTI

 NEW DELHI: BJP on Saturday dubbed as "impractical" Delhi Government's
move to make it mandatory for everybody in the capital to possess a
photo
identity card.

Instead, it asked the Central Government to create a national citizen
register and issue multi-purpose cards to all citizens to fulfil
security concerns.

"We can understand the Lt Governor's intention. But in reality 50 per
cent of the people in Delhi does not possess any kind of identity
card," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.

He said the BJP had been demanding creation of a national citizen
register and issuance of multi-purpose smart cards, which is handy and
water-proof.

"In the present situation, the suggestion seems to be impractical," he
told reporters in New Delhi.

Javadekar said it is to be seen whether Delhi Lt Governor's Tejinder
Khanna's suggestion fulfils the basic aim of addressing security
concerns or is reduced to just checking of citizens.

"We will have to wait and see whether it works or troubles the
people," he added.