[Reader-list] Is peace and reconciliation an illusion?

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 03:10:31 IST 2009

Dear Yousuf,

"I am sure if we do a survey in India, an equal number of people will say Islam and Muslims need to be eradicated from the face of the earth."
I agree.
"But my point is, is a long-term solution to terror possible
by simply attacking Pakistan or blaming its govt."
I agree again about the first part.I am not advocating war.But I fail to see why the Pakistan govt should not be blamed when it is continues to let LET-JUD flourish and carry out terror attacks on India.Its recent flip flops on the issue of Ajmal Kasab and many other statements related to the Mumbai blasts may tell you how sincere they are in curbing LET-the so called non-state actors flourishing with the support of the establishment.
"If someone is sick, do you try to treat that person, or do you  kill him so that his disease doesn't afflict you. That's the choice we have to make."
Thats what I asked you in the earlier mail.Contrary to anything that I can see,lets assume that the person does want to be "treated".How do you plan to "treat that person"? Are you ready to accept the inevitable terror attacks and more dead Indians while the "treatment" is going on?
I do not have any reason to believe that majority of Pakistanis are similar to majority of Indians.As I have written earlier,even if that were the case,that would not solve anything till Pak establishment keeps supporting LET-JUD and LET-JUD has access to funds.
In my humble opinion, Pak army uses the state in the way that it pleases,for its own benefits.You can see what it has done to the people in NWFP and Swat in return for the money it receives from the US.It will never completely eradicate Taliban because that's its cash cow.The poor people in NWFP and swat are facing US bombings on one hand and Talibans version of brutal Islam on the other hand,while all the time the Pak army is receiving more funds from the US.
Again, in my humble opinion, the Pak policies of propagating international terrorism will not end unless and until there is an existential threat to the army.Its just too profitable a business for them.
I will reiterate,I am not batting for the warmongers.But the peaceniks should at least frame the debate realistically.Just ignoring the realities and insisting on friendship would not stop terror attacks and push us closer towards war.

Regards
Rahul