[Reader-list] To Taha Mehmood

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 30 03:42:55 IST 2009

Dear Sandeep

Thank you for your mail.

I am sorry but I do not think that I have necessary conceptual grasp
to say any thing of significance in so far as the conduct of
contemporary political organizations like Lashkar, Bajrang Dal or RSS
or Sri Ram Sena or for that matter defunct political organizations
like NASDAP or Bolsheviks is concerned.

I can only say that I do not in any way, none what so ever,  ascribe
or subscribe to their political views. I think these people are not
responsible politicians, for in each and every case, they believe in
the good of a few people rather than whole of the country.

The reason I was involved with the issue of Lashkar and its renaming
as JUD was because I am interested in the idea of -identity-. And
through this instance of renaming I wanted to explore whether
re-naming influences the imagination of a self or not.

As far as the recent Mangalore incident is concerned. I think what has
happened is terrible. One can only hope that due process of law is
followed in not only bringing to the book all those people who
committed this rather disgusting crime  but also making sure that they
get due punishment.

We are still getting news on Pramod Mutalik and his open admiration of
Sadhvi Pragya Devi and his exhilaration on her role in Malegaon
blasts, but there are many things that we do not know about him or his
political activities. Hence I do not think that one can say much about
him or his political organization at this point of time.

However, if you feel that this story must be or could be read in some
other fashion, then I think you should please share your
interpretation with us on the reader list. It would be indeed nice to
read an analysis that either goes against an interpretation which is
manufactured by the media or builds upon it, in such a way that it
produces new insight on Sri Ram Sena and Mutalik.

Warm regards

Taha