[Reader-list] Digital Bangladesh: Give Me Lightbulb First

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 16:14:02 IST 2009

Great piece by Delwar....

They move onto the letter I. "I diye ice-cream". "Ice-cream holo ki?"
the teacher asks. "Ice-cream holo ice-cream" the pupils answer. Some
are surprised that "ice-cream" is the same in English and Bangla.
"Ice-cream is bad for you" the teacher cautions. "You will get aches
in your bellies if you eat too many of them". The class looks
unconvinced.

On to J. "J diye jug. Jug holo jug". Now the kids are laughing. This
English thing is easy - they're mostly Bangla words!

I try to explain "digital Bangladesh" to him. From what he is able to
grasp, he thinks it's a good idea. He would like computers for his
students. He thinks they will really benefit from them. But he would
like a school building first, some books and pens even. A fan for the
hot season would also be good, as would be a lightbulb.

Digital Bangladesh: virtual dreams, real lives
Delwar Hussain, 8 - 05 - 2009

http://www.opendemocracy.net/article/digital-bangladesh-virtual-dreams-real-lives