[Reader-list] Work on identification card to start by 2010- 142

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 9 15:48:41 IST 2009

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/jul/080709-Unique-Identification-Card-US-return-Delhi-news-2010.htm

Work on identification card to start by 2010
By: Surender Sharma 	  	Date:  2009-07-08 	  	Place:Delhi

The next time your US-return cousin flashes his social security number
and extols its virtues, you may also
have your Unique Identification Card (UID) to boast of. Along with the
Rs 120-crore Budget boost that the ambitious project received, the
Centre too has got down to serious work in arming every Indian with a
special identification number.

The UID Authority of India, a nodal agency working on this project
under the Planning Commission, has directed states to immediately
designate regional officers and district officers.

"We have recently received a letter from the Planning Commission to
appoint nodal officers for the UID project at the state level and a
divisional commissioner has been appointed for the post," said Chief
Secretary of Delhi Rakesh Mehta. The Divisional Commissioner has asked
the Delhi government to provide space for the UID project office and
recruit staff.

"It is an extensive exercise. Except the General Census no such work
has been undertaken in the country ever. Even with the Census, there
is a databank to refer to. But in this case, we have no such reference
point.  It's like counting heads. Most likely, the work will start
next year when the Census begins," said a senior Delhi government
official.

Hard work and confusion

Though officials are not yet clear about the details of the
multi-utility card, based on the social security system of the United
States, they say the UID will be a biometric card.  "It will be an
electronic card with a person's bonafide details, his DNA information,
driving licence number, his educational qualification and other data
including records of any criminal cases registered against him.
However, the biggest hurdle will be making it seamless. There are no
instructions yet if dedicated staff will be recruited for the project
or work will be outsourced to private agencies," said the official.
However, Planning Commission officials said Nandan Nilekani, the
co-founder of Infosys Technologies and the head of the UID Authority
of India, will soon unravel the details of the project.

World view