[Reader-list] Fw: Baba Ramdev claims Yoga has a cure...

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 14:09:33 IST 2009

*TO COUNTER THIS BABA MENACE:*

DRUGS AND MAGIC REMEDIES (OBJECTIONABLE ADVERTISEMENTS) ACT 1954
THE DRUGS AND MAGIC REMEDIES (OBJECTIONABLE ADVERTISEMENTS) ACT, 1954

ACT NO. 21 OF 1954 1*

[30th April, 1954.]
An Act to control the advertisement of drugs in certain cases, to prohibit
the advertisement for certain purposes of remedies alleged to possess magic
qualities and to provide for matters connected therewith. BE it enacted by
Parliament as follows:-

Short title, extent and commencement.

1. (1)Short title, extent and commencement. This Act may be called the Drugs
and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1954.

(2)It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir,
and applies also to persons domiciled in the territories to which this Act
extends who are outside the said territories. (3.)It shall come into force
on such date2* as the Central Government may. by notification in the
Official Gazette, appoint.

Definitions. 2.Definitions. In this Act, unless the context otherwise
requires,- (a) " advertisement " includes any notice, circular, label,
wrapper, or other document, and any announcement made orally or by any means
of producing or transmitting light, sound or smoke; (b) drug " includes- (i)
a medicine for the internal or external use of human beings or animals ;
(ii) any substance intended to be used for or in the diagnosis, cure,
mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in human beings or animals;
(iii)any article, other than food, intended to affect or influence in any
way the structure or any organic function of the body of human beings or
animals; (iv)any article intended for use as a component of any medicine,
substance or article, referred to in subclauses (i), (ii) and (iii)
--------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 This
Act has been extended to Pondicherry by Reg. 7 of 1963, S. 3 and Sch. I
(w.e.f. 1-10-1963).** 2 1st April 1955, vide Notification No. S. R. O. 511,
dated 26th February, 1955, Gazette of India, 1955, Pt. II, Sec. 3, p. 449.
** Extend to and brought into force in Dadra and Nagar Heveli (w.e.f.
1.7.65) by Ref. 6 of 1963, s.2 Sch. I.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 102
(c) " magic remedy " includes a talisman, mantra, kavacha, and any other
charm of any kind which is alleged to possess miraculous powers for or in
the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of any disease in
human beings or animals or for affecting or influencing in any way the
structure or any organic function of the body of human beings or animals ;
1*[(cc) "registered medical practitioner" means any person,- (i)who holds a
qualification granted by an authority specified in, or notified under,
section 3 of the Indian Medical Degrees Act, 1916 (7 of 1916) or specified
in the Schedules to the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 (102 of 1956) ; or
(ii)who is entitled to be registered as a medical practitioner under any law
for the time being in force in any State to which this Act extends relating
to the registration of medical practitioners ;] (d) taking any part in the
publication of any advertisement includes- (i) the printing of the
advertisement, (ii)the publication of any advertisement outside the
territories to which this Act extends by or at the instance of a person
residing within the said territories; 2* * * * * * *

Prohibition of advertisement of certain drugs for treatment of
certaindiseases and disorders. 3.Prohibition of advertisement of certain
drugs for treatment of certain diseases and disorders. Subject to the
provisions of this Act, no person shall take any part in the publication of
any advertisement referring to any drug in terms which suggest or are
calculated to lead to the use of that drug for- (a) the procurement of
miscarriage in women or prevention of conception in women; or (b) the
maintenance or improvement of the capacity of human beings for sexual
pleasure ; or (c) the correction of menstrual disorder in women ; or 3*[(d)
the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of any disease,
disorder or condition specified in the Schedule, or any other disease,
disorder or condition (by whatsoever name called) which may be specified in
the rules made under this Act:
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 1
Ins. by Act 42 of 1963, s. 2. 2 Cl. (e) omitted by s. 2, ibid. 3 Subs. by s.
3, ibid., for cl. (d).
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 103
Provided that no such rule shall be made except- (i)in respect of any
disease, disorder or condition which requires timely treatment in
consultation with a registered medical practitioner or for which there are
normally no accepted remedies, and (ii)after consultation with the Drugs
Technical Advisory Board constituted under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940
(23 of 1940) and, if the Central Government considers necessary, with such
other persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of
Ayurvedic or Unani systems of medicines as that Govern- ment deems fit.]

Prohibition of misleading advertisements relating to drugs. 4.Prohibition of
misleading advertisements relating to drugs. Subject to the provisions of
this Act, no person shall take any part in the publication of any
advertisement relating to a drug if the advertisement contains any matter
which- (a) directly or indirectly gives a false impression regarding the
true character of the drug; or (b) makes a false claim for the drug;or (c)
is otherwise false or misleading inany material particular. 5 Prohibition of
advertisement of magic remedies for treatment ofcertain diseases and
disorders. 5.Prohibition of advertisement of magic remedies for treatment of
certain diseases and disorders. No person carrying on or purporting to carry
on the profession of administering magic remedies shall take any part in the
publication of any advertisement referring to any magic remedy which
directly or indirectly claims to be efficacious for any of the purposes
specified in section 3. 6 Prohibition of import into, and export from India
of certainadvertisements. 6.Prohibition of import into, and export from
India of certain advertisements. No person shall import into, or export
from, the territories to which this Act extends any document containing an
advertisement of the nature referred to in section 3, or section 4, or
section 5, and any documents containing any such advertisements shall be
deemed to be goods of which the import or export has been prohibited under
section 19 of the Sea Customs Act, 1878 (8 of 1878) and all -the provisions
of that Act shall have effect accordingly, except that section 183 thereof
shall have effect as if for the word " shall " therein the word " may " were
substituted.

Penalty. 7.Penalty. Whoever contravenes any of the provisions of this Act
1*[or the rules made thereunder] shall, on conviction, be punishable-
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 1
Ins. by Act 42 of 1963, s. 4.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 104
(a) in the case of a first conviction, with imprisonment which may extend to
six months, or with fine, or with both; (b) in the case of a subsequent
conviction, with imprisonment which may extend to one year, or with fine, or
with both.

Powers of entry, search, etc.

1*[8. (1)Powers of entry, search, etc. Subject to the provisions of any
rules made in this behalf, any Gazetted Officer authorised by the State
Government may, within the local limits of the area for which he is so
authorised,- (a) enter and search at all reasonable times, with such
assistants, if any, as he considers necessary, any place in which he has
reason to believe that an offence under this Act has been or is being
committed ; (b) seize any advertisement which he has reason to believe
contravenes any of the provisions of this Act: Provided that the power of
seizure under this clause may be exercised in respect of any document,
article or thing which contains any such advertisement, including the
contents, if any, of such document, article or thing, if the advertisement
cannot be separated by reason of its being embossed or otherwise, from such
document, article or thing without affecting the integrity, utility or
saleable value thereof ; (c) examine any record, register, document or any
other material object found in any place mentioned in clause (a) and seize
the same if he has reason to believe that it may furnish evidence of the
commission of an offence punishable under this Act.

(2) The provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 (5 of 1898),
shall, so far as may be, apply to any search or seizure under this Act as
they apply to any search or seizure made under the authority of a warrant
issued under section 98 of the said Code.

(3) Where any person seizes anything under clause (b) or clause

(c) of sub-section (1), he shall, as soon as may be, inform a Magistrate and
take his orders as to the custody thereof.]

Offences by companies.

9. (1)Offences by companies. If the person contravening any of the
provisions of this Act is a company, every person who at the time the
offence was committed, was in charge of, and was responsible to, the company
for the conduct of the business of the company as well as the company shall
be deemed to be guilty of the contravention and shall be liable to be
proceeded against and punished accordingly:
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 1
Subs. by Act 42 of 1963, s. 5, for s. 8.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 105
Provided that nothing contained in this sub-section shall render any such
person liable to any punishment provided in this Act if he proves that the
offence was committed without his knowledge or that he exercised all due
diligence to prevent the commission of such offence.

(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1) where an offence
under this Act has been committed by a company and it is proved that the
offence was committed with the consent or connivance of, or is attributable
to any neglect on the part of, any director or manager, secretary or other
officer of the company, such director manager, secretary or other officer of
the company shall also be deemed to be guilty of that offence and shall be
liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly. Explanation.-For
the purposes of this section,- (a) " company " means any body corporate and
includes a firm or other association of individuals, and (b)" director " in
relation to a firm means a partner in the firm. 1*[9A.Offences to be
cognizable. Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal
Procedure, 1898, (5 of 1898) an offence punishable under this Act shall be
cognizable.]

Jurisdiction to try offences. 10.Jurisdiction to try offences. No court
inferior to that of a presidency magistrate or a magistrate of the first
class shall try any offence punishable under this Act. 2*[10A.Forfeiture.
Where a person has been convicted by any court for contravening any
provision of this Act or any rule made thereunder, the court may direct that
any document (including all copies thereof), article or thing, in respect of
which the contravention is made, including the contents thereof where such

contents are seized under clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 8, shall
be forfeited to the Government.]

Officers to be deemed to be public servants. 11.Officers to be deemed to be
public servants. Every person authorised under section 8 shall be deemed to
be a public servant within the meaning of section 21 of the Indian Penal
Code. (45 of 1860).

Indemnity. 12.Indemnity. No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding
shall lie against any person for anything which is in good faith done or
intended to be done under this Act.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 1
Ins. by Act 42 of 1963, s. 6. 2 Ins. by s. 7, ibid,
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 106

Other laws not affected. 13.Other laws not affected. The provisions of this
Act are in addition to, and not in derogation of the provisions of any other
law for the time being in force.

Savings. 1*[14.Savings. Nothing in this Act shall apply to- (a) any sign
board or notice displayed by a registered medical practitioner on his
premises indicating that treatment for any disease, disorder or condition
specified in section 3, the Schedule or the rules made under this Act, is
undertaken in those premises ; or (b) any treatise or book dealing with any
of the matters specified in section 3 from a bona fide scientific or social
standpoint ; or (c) any advertisement relating to any drug sent
confidentially in the manner prescribed under section 16 only to a
registered medical practitioner ; or (d) any advertisement relating to a
drug printed or published by the Government ; or (e) any advertisement
relating to a drug printed or published by any person with the previous
sanction of the Government granted prior to the commencement of the Drugs
and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Amendment Act, 1963 (42 of
1963); Provided that the Government may, for reasons to be recorded in
writing, withdraw the sanction after giving the person in opportunity of
showing cause against such withdrawal.] 15 Power to exempt from application
of Act. 15.Power to exempt from application of Act. If in the opinion of the
Central Government public interest requires that the advertisement of any
specified drug or class of drugs 2*[or any specified class of advertisements
relating to drugs] should be permitted, it may, by notification in the
Official Gazette, direct that the provisions of sections 3, 4, 5 and 6 or
any one of such provisions shall not apply or shall apply subject to such
conditions as may be specified in the notification to or in relation to the
advertisement of any such drug or class of drugs 2*[or any such class of
advertisements relating to drugs]. 16 Power to make rules.

16. (1)Power to make rules. The Central Government may, by notification in
the Official Gazette make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 1
Subs, by Act 42 of 1963, s. 8, for s. 14. 2 Ins. by s. 9, ibid.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 106A

(2) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing
power, such rules may- (a) specify any 1*[disease, disorder or condition] to
which the provisions of section 3 shall apply (b) prescribe the manner in
which advertisements of articles or things referred to in clause (c) of 2*
*** sections 14 may be sent confidentially.

3*[(3) Every rule made under this Act shall be laid as soon as may be after
it is made, before each House of Parliament while it is in session for a
total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two
or more successive sessions, and if before the expiry of the session in
which it is so laid or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree
in making any modification in the rule or both Houses agree that the rule
should not be made, the rule shall thereafter have effect only in such
modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be ; so however, that any
such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of
anything previously done under that rule.] SCHE

[See sections 3 (d) and 14.]
4*[THE SCHEDULE

[See sections 3 (d) and 14.]
S.. No. Name of the disease, disorder or condition 1. Appendicitis 2.
Arteriosclerosis 3. Blindness 4. Blood poisoning 5. Bright's disease 6.
Cancer 7. Cataract 8. Deafness 9. Diabetes 10. Diseases and disorders of the
brain 11. Diseases and disorders of the optical system
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 1
Subs by Act 42 of 1963, s. 10, for "disease or condition".

2 The words brackets and figure"sub-section (1) of" omitted by s.10, ibid. 3
Ins. by s. 10, ibid. 4 Ins. by s. 11, ibid.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 106B
S. No. Name of the disease, disorder or condition 12. Diseases and disorders
of the uterus 13. Disorders, of menstrual flow 14. Disorders of the nervous
system 15. Disorders of the prostatic gland 16. Dropsy 17. Epilepsy 18.
Female diseases (in general) 19. Fevers (in general) 20. Fits 21. Form and
structure of the female bust 22. Gall stones, kidney stones and bladder
stones 23. Gangrene 24. Glaucoma 25. Goitre 26. Heart diseases 27. High or
low blood pressure 28. Hydrocele 29. Hysteria 30. Infantile paralysis 31.
Insanity 32. Leprosy 33. Leucoderma 34. Lockjaw 35. Locomotor ataxia 36.
Lupus 37. Nervous debility 38. Obesity 39. Paralysis 40. Plague 41. Pleurisy
42. Pneumonia 43. Rheumatism 44. Ruptures 106c S. No. Name of the disease,
disorder or condition 45. Sexual impotence 46. Smallpox 47. Stature of
persons 48. Sterility in women 49. Trachoma 50. Tuberculosis 51. Tumours 52.
Typhoid fever 53. Ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract 54. Venereal
diseases, including syphilis, gonorrhoea, soft chancre, venereal granuloma
and lympho granuloma.]