[Reader-list] Present list of BPL families a flawed one, says report- 156

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 18:02:56 IST 2009

Dear Rajen,

Human endeavor is also to think, to question, to ask, to inquire, to
reflect, to know, to judge, to disagree, to argue, to allege, to
claim, to point, to direct, to imagine and to look.

The point being- just because a new thing needs to be put in place
does not mean the what was there before was necessarily redundant. If
BPL lists are flawed then why is the government not doing something
about making it flawless. BPL is one of the lists which stores
information, by introducing this card does the government wants us to
think that all the information stored in all the lists in all those
departments of the Government of India which involve direct citizen
interface are flawed. If so then what is the guarantee that a new list
which will be prepared will not be flawed. If there is no guarantee
then why is 1.5 lakh crore rupees is being spent in our name.

On the other hand if only some lists are flawed then why is public
money not being spent in correcting those lists. If our arm needs to
be cured then would we replace the brain by making an argument that
since brain controls the body therefore a new systematic, efficient
brain would auto correct the nerves which controls the arm.

In mythology we have had a Hanuman who lifted an entire mountain
because he couldn't identify the Sanjivni herb now we have a Ram Sevak
(Shri Ram Sevak Sharma, the IAS officer who will administer the UIDAI)
who is going to 'lift' us all because he cannot identify the so called
illegal immigrants and the poor. Sometimes one feels that with UIDAI
one is going to live in mythical times. When information will travel
at the speed of light announcing our arrivals and departures
instantaneously. When we will have a mythical figure of Narayana who
knew all the information regarding everyone roaming around the nation
in the garb of UIDAI. But will it usher a Ram Rajya? That remains to
be seen.

Warm regards

Taha