[Reader-list] Nilekani confident of dispatching unique IDs by next year - 159

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:56:30 IST 2009

Dear All

The age of wonder is ushering into India again. It just takes a moon
to pass between the earth and the sun and stay there for four minutes
to excite a billion Indians.

People will pray, bury their children in the ground, talk, be afraid,
marvel, enjoy, take pictures and do what not to experience this
moment.

However no one seems to be bothered about an eclipse of another kind
which will not last just four minutes but perhaps a life time.

When the shape and the form of government of India will be hidden
behind a moon-like plastic token to be distributed by Nandu and Ram
Sevak.

If our local myth makers were anything to go by then Nandan Nilekani
is going to have us all numbered by this time next year. It is another
matter that the survey to verify -we-are-who-we-claim-to-be- will be
done shoddily. It is another matter that we are not bothered.

Who cares if systematic discrepancies factored in the system of
identification? For instance, if UIDAI were to use the existing BPL
list then who cares, if the BPL lists are flawed?

Who cares?

There are bigger and more important tasks to be done, for instance, we
have to distribute 1.5 Crores to the Premji's, the Narayanmurthys of
this world.

Nandan is going to use that magic word called -consensus- to arrive a
meta list.

In the last fortnight he has met his good friend Thiru Murli S. Deora.
We were told that the meeting was a first step towards much stronger
collaboration between the Ministry of Petroleum and UIDAI. The issue
at hand was this- could it be possible for Min. Petroleum to share the
list containing the names and addresses of consumers of liquefied
petroleum gas?

Are we to believe that all the data entered in lists of consumers of
LPG flawless? By carrying out a national verification drive in such a
slipshod manner Is the Government of India not allowing the so called,
-systemic- faults to come in? That too at the level of inception
alone.

 Will the so called 'terrorists',  'illegal immigrants' not be making
sure that their names are entered in a few lists before the Government
freezes the entry of any more names?

18 months is what Nandu has given to himself. I'm sure all the
PERT/CPM and other mumbo-jumbo from operations research must have been
carried out by now.

We wait and see...

Warm regards

Taha

http://www.ndtv.com/news/videos/video_player.php?id=1138523

Nilekani confident of dispatching unique IDs by next year

 Thursday, Jul 23, 2009 , India

Nandan Nilekani on Thursday officially took charge as the chairman of
the UIDA of India, emphasizing that by next year a unique number to
establish identity of Indians might fructify.