[Reader-list] Sinha seeks clarification on Nilekani’s statement- 165

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 25 18:19:07 IST 2009

Dear Rajen and All,

In the time honored traditions of reader-listers, I must confess that,
I am tempted to start a tu-tu-main-main, however, I would not.

Primarily because I think that the issue at hand is too big and too
important and too critical and too crucial  to allow nobody's like to
yours truly, to  respond to an allegation that one is feeling
'Jealous' of Thiru Nandu :-).

However I would like to extend heartfelt thanks for humoring us. Dear
Rajen Thank you.

What I do not understand is, as you also suggest, that when all the
lists are infested with fraudulent entries then why is UIDAI thinking
to using them and issuing UID numbers? Doesn't it defeat the very
purpose for which it and it's predecessor, the MNIC was created?
Therefore if after ten years of beating around the bush the GOI feels
that no verification of a billion people is necessary, then why public
money to the tune of 500 or so crores was invested? Where is the
accountability of that money? Who is to blame here? Will there be an
possible recourse to a legal action for wasting this money?

By using existing lists, is the government not openly allowing all
those who are definitely not Indian to enter Indian territory and
acquire legitimacy? or wouldn't those who are Indians but do not have
legitimate papers and thus whose names do not figure in any public or
official lists could be branded as non-residents or not Indians?

Warm regards

Taha