[Reader-list] Infosys to bid for UID projects; nobody to succeed Nilekani- 177

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 16:22:12 IST 2009

Dear Taha jee

I have one doubt about this. The Central Govt has allocated Rs. 120 crore
for this scheme in this year's financial budget. As of now, the mandate is
to prepare a national database for the entire nation and give a unique
identity no. to all. My friend has stated that as of now, there is no scheme
or mandate in the budget to prepare the card.

Is this true? And does this mean that there will be no making of the card
scheme? Because if that is true, then the huge costs being estimated are
bogus, and the scheme would only require making a national database, and
giving an identity no., which would be present on every card one makes, and
which is useful especially in things like maintaining employment records and
other entitlements the govt. is supposed to provide, mainly for the poor.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards

Rakesh