[Reader-list] Infosys to bid for UID projects; nobody to succeed Nilekani- 177

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 16:59:56 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh,

Thank you for your mail. I must say that your point is pertinent. If
Nandu were to just distribute numbers to all Indians against a measly
120 crore rupees appropriated to UIDAI  then perhaps there would have
been no issue at all. I would thank GOI for such a brilliant
initiative, take my number and go home.

But you tell me would a Bill Gates come to India  to participate in a
mere 120 crore project, would these Israelis with their -domain
expertize- be hawking their wares, would NxP be opening its second
largest semi conductor division in the world near Bangalore, would
consortium of european companies be holding these business seminars
and networking events for a measly 120 crore rupees, would Bartronics
stock be jumping and leaping so much on the stock market?

The GOI moves in mysterious ways. 1.5 lakh crore are being offered
according to a TOI report.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/India/Citizen-IDs-to-cost-Rs-15-lakh-crore/articleshow/4703794.cms
If this is a spin story, we do not know, we do not know whether a GOI
source or a Home ministry official will deny or not comment to a
question directed towards the  sarkaari expenditure for UIDAI.

Moreover we do not know what happens to the information, reports,
surveys, data, garnered during the MNIC era. What happens to that?
What happens to MNIC centers established in all 12 states and one UT?
What happens to more than 550 crore spent on pilot projecting? What
happens to the fingerprints taken from these people? Is the GOI
safeguarding it? or Are they released in the market? It may happen
though, because GOI regularly releases  used furniture in the market,
so who knows?

 We really do not know, neither do we have any idea of what is the
bureaucratic structure around UIDAI is going to be nor for that matter
we know about actual legal statutory brief of Nandu and party? UIDAI
must be a political authority not like quasi dictatorial one as it
seems to be right now, which is headed by a man who has no political
obligation, no answer-ability to the people of India.

Warm regards

Taha