[Reader-list] Remembering Debates on this List

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Jul 31 17:04:00 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh, dear all

Rakesh, I don't know who you are, but I would like to thank you for
the great job that you are doing in response to yet another assault
on our reason from the same quarters. When all else fails. Our holy
hindu warriors bring out the tired trick of the charge of iconoclasm.
We have been here many times before.

Some time ago (September -November 2007, and January 2008) this list
went through a great deal of turbulence regarding the one sided
dishing out of a so called history of iconoclasm in Kashmir.

Since the list has a working online archive, it is quite easy to
revisit these debates. I enclose the links below for the perusal of
readers such as yourself, who may have joined the list, subsequent to
these exchanges.

1. Kalhan, Parihaspura and Komal Gandhar, September 6, 2007
http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2007-September/010200.html

2. I wrote a series of postings titled 'Annotations to the History of
Iconoclasm in Kashmir, Parts I-IV' which appeared serially, on the
night of Diwali, November 2007 on the Reader List. The links to them
are as follows

http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2007-November/011030.html
http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2007-November/011031.html
http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2007-November/011032.html
http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2007-November/011033.html

In January, in response to a rebuttal of my arguments made in the
November four part set of postings. I wrote another post.

Iconoclasm and a Quest for Hired Limousines - January 24, 2008
http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2008-January/011873.html

I am just forwarding the links to things I wrote, but many others
participated vigourously (and in many cases perceptively,
thoughtfully and with good deal of good humour) in these debates, as
will be evident by following the trails of the relevant threads in
the archives.

Some of you who may be new to the list may be shocked at some of the
distinctly xenophobic, communal and hate filled statements made by
some list members in some of the recent postings. You may also be
wondering why they are not taken on. Well, partly because many of us
have done this before. And because the list has an archive, we do not
need to do it again and again. But the list itself has a long memory.
These statements, each one of them, have been wrestled with before.
And the hate-mongers have never been able to answer the criticisms
levelled at them. Hence their tactic, of repetition, exhausting,
monotonous, boring repetition. All you need to do is to look at the
archive.

They have lost the most important social battles in this country.
They are an exhausted, spent, defeated force. Their leadership is
self-destructing before our very eyes. All that they have is a lot of
time to waste on their keyboards. What they do not understand is that
every time they make a hateful jibe, they lose more ground.

But keep the good fight going, and the best way to do that is by
talking, also, of many things other than what exercises the spent
imaginations of the partisans of Hindutva and hardline nationalism.

best

Shuddha