[Reader-list] Remembering Tiananmen

Aprajita Sarcar aprajitasarcar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 14:30:35 IST 2009

Hello

 Tibetans and Tibet supporters are getting ready to remember the Tiananmen
Square massacre. In Delhi, this will also mark the celebration of an
endangered democracy. Ever since the city was brought to a standstill around
the time of the Olympics Torch relay, we feel that Remembering the Tiananmen
Square incident is more to do with how we are entrenching democracy today,
within China and outside.

Another thing is to encourage people to to wear somehting WHITE that day as
a part of the campign advocated by a Tiananmen veterant Wang Dan who is
leading such a protets rally in Washington DC (See AFP news report:
http://tinyurl.com/afp-white-china-21may09).

This is a moment to stand for freedom, democracy and justice, not just for
the Chinese, but Tibetans, Burmese, Indians, Bangladeshis, Mongolians,
Manchurians, Pakistanis and Uighurs.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama's people-to-people relation building is a
strategy, of sorts, to create people power to bring freedom and democracy in
China and in extention to Tibet. Seeing the People's Republic of China's
engagements with other occupied countries and also other countries whose
freedom and democracy has been bought (read compromised) by China's business
interests, many members of civil society will be remembering June 4 this
year, as a metaphor of the dissent which is fast growing enadagered in
today's world.

We have been commemorating Tiananmen since 2002 in Dharamsala, where besides
a public gathering of about 3 to 4 hundred people we have small speeches
made and do a candle light vigil and the main attraction is the film
screening where we screen the famed documnetary ''Tiananmen: The Gate to
Heavenly Peace''.

We make reports of this with photos and sent it to many chinese activist for
freedom and democracy including Human Rights in China, Free China Network,
China support network, and now there are a whole lot on Facebook also.

This is a seeking help mail, please suggest active people and organization
you have been working with.

This could also be Delhi's call for freedom and justice as we call on more
indian participation, NGOs to endorse this call and also physically by being
there at jantar mantar.

there would be
- a joint press statement.
- candle light vigil
- short speeches made by representatives
- film screening

*Time: 4.30pm*
*Venue: Jantar Mantar*
*Date: June 4th, 2009*

--
. . . . .
Friends of Tibet, PO Box: 16674, Bombay 400050, India.