[Reader-list] The "Sickular" History

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 19:04:24 IST 2009

My burst of "love" for the word "slacktivism" that I got introduced to today reminded me about another word which I immediately fell in love with on first seeing it. The word is "sickular".

I have personally never used the word "sickular" even though in it resonates and it encompasses my own evaluations of some attitudes one sees in India. I have preffered terms like "convoluted secularism"; "hypocritical secularism"; "selective secularism".

"Sickular" is a powerful word but it is too dismissive for my liking for it often brings to a sudden end any reasoned discussion that could explore opposing viewpoints on interpretaions of "secularism".

But, "Sickular" is a significant word for it symbolises the attitudinal and to some extent the ideological divides that exist in India.

What are the origins of this word "Sickular"? I could not find it in any dictionary, nor was Wikipedia of any help. If someone knows, please let me know.

"Sickular" apppears to be an India-coined word.

- The earliest usage of the word "sickular" that I could locate  from Web sources is a 2004 comment by "Anonymous" on the site "Snap Judgement"  which has content pre-dominantly in Tamil:

"When our so called sickular media were shy on even touching this gory murder, you did a splendid job of bringing out the truth."
http://snapjudge.com/2004/11/05/%E0%AE%A8%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%A8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%A9%E0%AF%8D-%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%87%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D-%E0%AE%AE/

Next after 2004, I could find use of "sickular" only in 2006. The word is seen figuring repeatedly after that in 2008 and 2009.

- Jan 2006,  "indusAquarius" comments on the Blog "Shadow Warrior" :

"This Mahesh Bhatt is among the bigwigs of the Sickular brigade."
http://rajeev2004.blogspot.com/2006/01/british-mohammedan-preachers-vision.html

- Feb 2006, on the same Blog, "daisies" questions "DarkStorm" :

"And your daily songs of "sickular" are not sickening for anyone ?"
http://rajeev2004.blogspot.com/2006/02/indians-as-blacks.html

- March 2006, on the "OUTLOOKINDIA" site, in a comment, "Ramchi" says:

"Only in India where Hindu temples which are under the control of sickular governments charging Hindus for praying their Gods."
http://www.outlookindia.com/printdis_v2.asp?refer=64867&childid=64867

- March 2006, in the "Wisdom Blog" on the INDIATIMES site, "Ram" comments:

"If not, at the first opportunity, fly out of India, leaving the country in the hands of this 'sickular' govt."
http://o3.indiatimes.com/wisenation/archive/2006/03/29/574301.aspx

- May 2006, on the site "Sepia Mutiny", "Gaurav" questions "Mahajan Skeptic":

"In your scheme of thing I guess India was a Ram Rajya (oops, that is communal !), I meant paradise under "sickular" Congress until Devil (BJP) came and serpent (LKA) robbed Indians of innocence."
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:yGIEYP-BFs4J:www.sepiamutiny.com/sepia/archives/003334.html+%22sickular%22&cd=90&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ae

- May 2006, "Blinded" comments in the "UNITED WE BLOG! FOR A DEMOCRATIC NEPAL" :

"I am amazed that still you all are not aware of what is true secularism and what is happening to India due to sickular (secular) ideology!!"
http://blog.com.np/united-we-blog/2006/05/18/no-hindu-kingdom-celebrating-secularism-in-nepal/

- May 2006, "SPINDIANMEDIA" titles an entry in Blog of same name:

"Vir Sanghvi's "sickular" double standards on stark display"
http://spindianmedia.blogspot.com/2006/05/vir-sanghvis-sickular-double-standards.html

- June 2006, we have "Shmuel Kuper" commenting on what appears to be an Israeli site "CROSS CURRENTS":

 "Hopefully, the readers of this forum do not belong to the brainwashed sickular public who do not care to read facts that might confuse their brainwashed mind, and will find interest in facts rather than antisemite propaganda, the “isreali” media so excels in, putting the “Jewish” state as the #1 antisemite state in the Western world."
http://www.cross-currents.com/archives/2006/06/28/yisrael-valis-the-court-transcript/