[Reader-list] The "Sickular" History

Venugopalan K M kmvenuannur at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 19:33:29 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra,
Thanks for your comments.
Whether the word be associated with the root 'sick' or 'sickle',
'sickular' continues to be sickening to me. This, I attribute to the
permanently negative connotations the word most often catch. A desire
to belong to a genuinely secular polity, whatever be our personal
religious conviction is what better corresponds to secularism in my
view.  Sickular, as far as  I can understand, is often used by many
(including the Muslim victims of discriminative state policies)  only
to undervalue the real worthiness of secularism whatever is existing,
and to distract.
After the recent massive popular verdict in the last general elections
in favour of secularism, I wish we could go back to examine the sort
of distortions the idea of secularism suffered in recent times. If we
mean to use the word sickular just to describe all kinds of abuses of
secularism, I am afraid it would not go beyond abusing the abusers; it
seldom cares to build ideal models of praxis in a multi-religious
country. We often put blame on the Left and the Congress alike, for
not being sufficiently secular in practice; but that itself is no
justification for finding a vague expression for venting our ire on
people who don't really take care of our desire to live in a secular
polity.
Regards,
Venu.

http://venukm.blogspot.com/