[Reader-list] CPM, CBI, CIA AND OTHER DEMONS

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 09:41:52 IST 2009

CPM, CBI, CIA AND OTHER DEMONS
by Srividya Thazhathu
Tags: CPM, keralam, men | 3 comments | 228 views
http://thefishpond.in/2009/06/cpm-cbi-cia-and-other-demons/

Keralam, I have always felt, is an enormous saloon designed exclusively for men.

A dingy joint jam-packed with receding hairlines, thick mustaches and
prosperous beards in various shades engaged in political chat round
the clock.

No wonder, it immediately reminds one of those god forsaken humid
towns in Marquezian tales bustling with insomniac mosquitoes, idealist
revolutionaries, lampoons, hired assassins and women of all kinds
eagerly looking forward to the end of the world.

(And no wonder Marquez is such an icon of Mallu men)

Let me make it clear at the outset itself that I am not assuming a
moralistic female-outsider position with no role in this gargantuan
shit.

I damn well know I am part and parcel of it.

It’s just that post-Lavalin the place has become absolutely unbearable.

All men, it seems are desperately trying to slip into the rugged faces
and masks of Pinarayi Vijayan, V.S Achuthanandan and Jayarajan(s)

Everybody is in the queue to enroll as either fan or foe. The
television interlocutors and their expert guests are the classic
instances. Even the virtual space is dominated by such dim wits that
your inbox resembles the municipal wall in Thalassery!

The guys who sit at all headquarters, I think, just adore mystery. It
must be that the majority of them are above or around fifty; a
generation that grew up on a staple diet of CID stories in print and
on screen. They love to believe that CIA is loitering on their lots
and they will be kidnapped in the middle of night and whisked away to
some exotic penal island with kinky torture devices.

How I wish it was true!

--
"The resources of the world are for us all to share. Let us affirm our
faith in that common cause" - Dr. Ilina Sen