[Reader-list] Shahidul Alam detained by Indian Border Security Force

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 19 07:33:03 IST 2009

Dear All

In this curious case of Mr. Islam v/s BSF v/s BDR, could we see a
subtle manifestation of various aspects of MNIC debate as an
underlying subtext?

All the filters, the tokens, the systems, the characters, the meta
frame and so on seems to be present in this incident.

I wonder why was Mr.Islam called over by the BSF?

Some speculative/imaginary questions which could have possibly figured
somewhere in Mr.Islam's interactions with both BDR and BSF-

Can we presume he was carrying a camera when he was called over? Could
this might have led to his movements being interpreted as 'suspicious'
by the BSF? Was he carrying a Bangladeshi National Identity Card on
his person when detained? if yes, then what role could that card might
have played in his detention and subsequent questioning? Was he taken
to be an fake Indian posing as genuine Bangladeshi by the BSF? Could a
suspicion of perhaps a botched up national identity led to a closure
by members of State apparatus on his person? Or was he taken as an
genuine Indian posing as fake Bangladeshi with a 'genuine'  Bangla
national ID card which prompted the BDR to question his identity?

To whomsoever it may concern- I'd would be extremely grateful if
someone could kindly share with us any details of questions related to
'identity' or 'identity documents' which were asked by both BDR and
BSF to Mr.Islam and how these questions were possibly resolved.

Warm regards

Taha