[Reader-list] Shahidul Alam detained by Indian Border Security Force

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 10:22:04 IST 2009

Dear Rahul,

"Do you think that homes should be locked? Do you think that people should
be allowed unrestricted entry to other peoples homes at all times?"

what were you referring to when you posed this question to shuddha and made
it publicly available to other readers on this list? a burglary in your
house? in that case i think i misread this whole thread to be borders and a
photographer, as many of the readers pointed out about the incident being an
incursion and other such things. however, we were talking about shahidul
alam. so if its a straw man, which is an informal fallacy about
misrepresentation of opponent's argument then your are committing the
fallacy of complex question when you posed the above question. i mean anyone
would say a "no" to "Do you think that people should be allowed unrestricted
entry to other peoples homes at all times?". But if this same question is
used to pose, what some may call the larger debate, "Do you think foreigners
should be allowed unrestricted entry to other nation states?" you may get a
very different opinion. i personally have a problem with such questions.

thanks anupam