[Reader-list] Is Indian democracy turning into a farce now?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 15:07:18 IST 2009

Dear Venugopal jee

I think the assumption itself that people vote on basis of vote banks is
somewhat wrong. This only takes place in extraordinary situations.
Therefore, making such assumptions is quite wrong and detrimental to the
Muslims or the Dalits itself.

There are larger issues than identities. Even in this forum, we debate more
on Indian, Muslim, Hindu, Christian and so on. It seems that Mandir-Masjid
fight, Christian conversions, Valentine day and pub culture, and Mangalore
attack are more important issues than say corruption in health and education
sectors in the govt. machinery, the corruption in the NREGS, Mid Day Meal
Scheme and other central govt. sponsored schemes, and so on. Forget all
this. The law and order in all the cities is going from bad to worse since
the past couple of years. We don't even debate that. Instead, all we can
fight on is identity.

Since SRK is in news now a days for a quote on the Prophet, may be it's time
we remember what his character says in the film Swades:

'Hum sab kehte rehte hain ki humara desh barbaad hone wala hai. Agar sab
aise hi chalta raha to ek din wakai yeh desh barbaad ho jayega. Aur hum sab
iske liye zimmedaar honge'.

Of course, there will be people saying that we shouldn't look at this
problem from the eyes of a nation, it lies everywhere. I agree. But isn't it
time that we now look at such issues rather than trivial issues like
identity, which is what the terrorists, the mullahs, the swamis, the saints,
the great messengers of god and their hoodlum followers would want us to
focus upon?

Or are we simply going to debate endlessly on identity, argue, fight and
then pass comments on each other and thereby lose all sense of issues in the
process? And of course, then state that education, health, unemployment are
non-issues (Indian media said that 2009 General elections were issue-less.
Probably Sarai should be given a mission to educate Indian media on
reporting).

Regards

Rakesh