[Reader-list] Is Indian democracy turning into a farce now?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 17:59:43 IST 2009

Dear all

The only point I wish to make through the above mail is one of duty or
dharma, which is what I as a Hindu believe in and I think all Hindus should
believe in it (This is my perception, and every Hindu is free to accept it
or reject it).

India is a democracy, and in a democracy people are free to express their
views. Therefore, people are also free to decide upon issues which they
consider as important, and those which they consider as not so important. In
other words, people have the right to decide what they value and what they
don't.

However, with every right, is associated a duty. In this case, people have
the duty to realize what issues are important for them and what not. And
hence, if they do express their right to think of an issue as important,
they must have a credible claim to back it up. The problem with
organizations like the Bajrang Dal, Shiv Sena or even the SIMI is that they
are mixing up too many issues or making them appear too simplistic to
achieve their own ends, which is not what is required.

Therefore, they are not doing their duty, and since the Bajrang Dal believes
it should serve the nation, it is doing a disservice to the own claim of
what it is supposed to follow.

Identity is not the lone major issue before us, and so my only request is
that please let us not focus only on this. We have health, education and
other issues to focus upon. Having myself put up some issues, I would be
very happy if others can equally put forth other articles on other such
issues as well, and infact increase the no. of such articles. That would be
of great help.

Regards

Rakesh