[Reader-list] Is Indian democracy turning into a farce now?

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 18:10:40 IST 2009

the problem about this so-called identitarian politics is that it tends to
homogenise one set of people loosly connected by their beliefs or under the
conditions in which they are born. i say, loosely connected because there
are several localised issues, which take a backseat in trying to create
something larger -- a larger voice of dissent may be. the belief that with
one voice of dissent at least some ends would be achieved on a larger scale
is what destroying these movements. had these people (namely bajrang dal or
taliban) looked inwards as to what's happening at their homes instead
worrying about who is capturing a photograph of them from the border areas,
they would have succeeded in achieving these ends and may be in reformation.
essentially this is not identitarian politics but a way to control human
minds through feudal beliefs. identitarian politics is not about
establishing the right to express one's views through democratic or whatever
means, it is a question of self realisation. a process which is inward
rather than articulations which are hollow.