[Reader-list] Is Indian democracy turning into a farce now?

Venugopalan K M kmvenuannur at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 19:15:22 IST 2009

.
There can be no doubt about the dangers of certain variants of identity
politics which directly poisons people's brains  and selectively blinds them
to major aspects of social reality.
Still, identities continue to negotiate the bumpy fields of power play.
Dr. Ambedkar, Periyar and many great  leaders of a previous era have used
identity politics in ways promoting  understanding, rather than hatred
toward their adversaries in identities.
So, we encounter a problem like which models actually fit into the discourse
of identity politics?
Or rather, which is the  demarcating element , between  a genuine movement
for self respect and human rights on the one hand, and expression of
bellicose nationalism ,regionalism or rabid casteism on the other?

Regards,
Venu.

--
http://venukm.blogspot.com