[Reader-list] Is Indian democracy turning into a farce now?

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 19:43:52 IST 2009

Dear Venu, Rakesh,

I think for any identitarian movement to be successful, it has to start with
an inward journey keeping things in retrospect. Blowing one's trumpet
because we are a nation of 1 billion people with so much of fire power is
not strenghtening our identity but only shows how vulnerable we have become
under this project called sovereignity. similarly, movements in religion, in
empowering exploited section of people, there has to be mutual consensus
that there is no competition with another set of people who are more well
off or getting more benefits from the state. it is about trying restore
dignity as an individual not because you belong to a collective whole. so
that this individual who would define the roles that he/she performs in the
movement can realise his/her own potential or limits and perform under
these restraints. i dont think with rampant nationalism or with ultra
belongingness one would not realise their potentials. this one human
identity must be exposed to living conditions of many to assert a simple
truth -- to live -- that would subsume all identities, all castes and other
such things. it is only possible if this individual looks inside instead of
falling prey for a charming leader's words -- whoever it may be.

-thanks anupam